Alaskan opening last night

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Alaskan opening last night

Postby Toomas Losin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Last night signals from Alaskan longwave beacons made it to the Lower Mainland. RWO on 394 kHz and EEF 391 kHz. The usual indicator of Alaskan propagation, SQM 529, was strong too.

Not much else though, I wonder what tonight'll bring.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: Alaskan opening last night

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Neat .... what rx and ant are you using for the NDB logging?
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm using the same 8x4 metre Pennant antenna that I use for mediumwave. I'm not sure how well it works on longwave compared to something like a large tuned loop. The radio is an Icom R71a.

Trivia: The radio's preamp is not designed for longwave use; in fact, a mod is needed to enable it for mediumwave and longwave. Below about 350 kHz it becomes an attenuator and I have to remember to switch it off!
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks for the info.

I had about half the parts required to build this K9AY loop but then was given a beautiful commercial shielded loop about 6 ft in diameter that came from a DEW Line station and when I figure out a way to remotely tune to peak, I intend to mount it on a mast with a TV rotator .... that should work really well.

My favourite AM Band DX RX is my RACAL RA-17C12 .... so beautifully selective that you can hear the dead air between AM frequencies due to the guard bands ..... only radio I've ever owned that can do that. Mine is kind of like this one on youtube ..... http://youtu.be/D1SyNh-QYYA

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:34 pm

There was some more Alaskan longwave propagation last night but not as good, at least while I was listening. The only voice I heard was on 529 and it was faint. I did hear a carrier on 530. That could be a TIS in Washington, CIAO in Ontario, Radio Enciclopedia in Cuba, or possibly the NDB on Adak Island in the Aleutians that I didn't know about.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns