Trans-Pacific DX this morning

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Trans-Pacific DX this morning

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Trans-pacific DX has been showing some activity recently with this morning being the most interesting. Pre-sunrise conditions allowed audio from the usual Japanese (747, 774, 1287) and Korean (1566) stations but it wasn't very clear audio. Also audible was the Russian longwave station on 279.

I haven't heard more than carriers from Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, or the Marshall Islands yet this opening. Although, 1548 had a particularly strong carrier that must have been near audio level but it was being stomped heavily by splatter from two stations on 1550.

There was also faint audio on 1570 that sounded like it could have been religious talk, which would likely be from Hawaii.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Re: Trans-Pacific DX this morning

Postby kal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I'd love a brief description of the gear you are using for the MW/LW DXing.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:30 pm

The receiver is an Icom R71a and the antenna is an 8x4 metre Pennant pointing at Japan.

Tonight there's a faint voice audible on 529 kHz from the navigation beacon SQL at Level Island but it's a regular these days.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Greetings,
Once again congratulations again on some very good dx Toomas. You are doing very well out there. I have been doing some dxing out here in Ontario still with not bad results. I just tried a new loop antenna design that I had heard about from a good friend in Maple Ridge 15 years ago!!!! Just got a chance to try it now in Ontario, I had put it on the backburner for years. It uses a juice liquid in a container and is unique. I had my doubts that it would work but this friend told me years ago up the coast in B C working in a logging camp as a cook he used it to pull in Vancouver radio stations on the AM band over 100 miles down the coast. He swore it worked and he absolutely was correct. It really boosts daytime signals here and night-time not bad either with portables. I even got a boost without even using wire around the can! Just amazing stuff!

By the way Toomas and any other dxers out there on the AM Band you might want to check our website at cfayradio.wordpress.com and scroll down past the list of independent AM and FM radio station links. There you will find links to a brand new (only a couple years old) Superconductor Communications Receiver. It uses state of the art superconductor technology and covers the radio spectrum from below the AM broadcast band to at aleast 5 GHZ. satellite frequencies. It has very high signal to noise ratio. I first learned about superconductor technology ;when I bought a TAB Book (owned by McGraw Hill) on the subject at a store in 1989. I read it several times and immediately thought of its application for AM Radio and dxing!!! At that time 1989 or 1990 no one had built a superconductor radio. However superconductivity technology was used with MRI medical equipment (one of the first applications), Maglev high speed trains and superconductor wire for power line transmission. Detroit, Michigan was one of the first cities to get a small downtown section of underground superconductor power lines in 2001!!! Also Long Island and Albany, New York have some areas with superconductor power lines. New York State is the Superconductor development area in North America and possibly the world for Superconductor development! I had been waiting patiently since 1989 for someone to develop a Superconductor Radio and finally discovered it July 18, 2013. It is HYPRES DIGITAL SUPERCONDUCTING COMPANY OF ELMSFORD, NEW YORK AND THEY HAVE A GREAT WEBSITE AND VIDEOS DESCRIBING THE TECHNOLOGY. HYPRES WAS FORMED IN 1983 SO IS ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD. HYPRES NOT MAKES THIS RADIO BUT OTHER PRODUCTS AS WELL, IN ADDITION TO THAT THEY HAVE LABS TO MANUFACTURE SUPERCONDUCTOR COMPONENTS TOO LIKE INTEGRATED CIRCUITS. The radio receives analog signals, processes them digitally and gives a nice clean audio output. Sensitivity is very high , much higher than the best standard component radios we currently use even the best ones like Drake R8 and ICOM receivers. Superconductors have virtually no resistance and can do amazing things. The Tab Book I bought in 1989 is an easy to understand book giving photos, lots of information and experiments on making your own simple superconductors. Superconductivity is not a new technology having been discovered in 1911 by a Dutch Scientist. The applications of it are new though. In addition to HYPRES, Phillips and GE as well as quite a few universities in New York State are developing products and doing research in New York State. There is a lot of research going on to develop high speed, high capacity QUANTUM COMPUTERS USING SUPERCONDUCTORS! Also JPS Labs in New York state sells Superconductor Speaker and Power Cables as well as very high quality headphones for the audiophiles! They also have a website and Facebook page as well.

Anyway just thought I would mention all that to you Toomas and you may want to check it out. Now if only a Superconductor Loop can be made an Portable High Quality DX receivers. I have already been in touch with C.Crane in Fortuna, California informing them about this!!!

Take care everyone,

73s Best of Summer DX to you, looks like the AM Band is not doing bad this summer!!

Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns