amlogbook.com Gone

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

amlogbook.com Gone

Postby jon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 am

I missed this when it was posted on July 1st, but did a little research last night after discovering that my favourite source of current U.S./Canada AM station info, and historical info via a copy of a Vane Jones collection, amlogbook.com, had gone down in the last few days:
Monday, July 1, 2013
THE END OF THE AM LOG BOOK
It is with deep regret that I announce the closing of the AMLOGBOOK. I no longer have the time nor the desire to spend the countless hours of updating and keeping track of AM Radio stations. I have not DX'ed in three years and do not see any Dxing in my immediate future.
Noise levels have gotten to the point where Dxing for me is a waste of time, not to mention the lack of anything worth listening to on this forgotten radio band.
It's been a pleasure to provide station information for radio hobbyists since 1995, and I am glad I was able to provide it as a FREE service to DX'ers. But time marches on.
I will leave the AMLOGBOOK site posted for the next several months. I will then be canceling my domain and email.
Thank you for all your support over the years.
All the best.
Posted by LEE FRESHWATER at 7:51 AM
jon
Advanced Member

Re: amlogbook.com Gone

Postby jon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:17 am

I should add that the original source of Vane Jones books is still available at:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Jon ... r_Page.htm
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

I was sad to see this DXing resource gone too. There are some excellent & current sites with accurate AM data for N America/Central America but there's little out there in the way of comprehensive data covering the Pacific Rim :neutral:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:37 pm

My Seattle DX friend since 1966, Bruce Portzer, edits the well-regarded Pacific-Asian Log (PAL), which covers the Broadcast Band and Shortwave.

It appears to be mainly available here:
http://www.radioheritage.net/pal.asp

Only caveat is that, if you enter your e-mail address, you may begin receiving regular requests for money from the New Zealand-based Radio Heritage Foundation.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Greetings,
Real sorry to hear that Jon. But thanks very much for mentioning it. Yes Lee's site was excellent and I had used it in recent years too. Now the Vane Jones Logs are great, glad they are still there. I also have about 5 of them at least which I purchased new back in the 70s or early 80s. Interesting books although some were not always as accurate but still good reference books. I always liked Vane Jones Logs and the Whites Radio Log, those were really my first reference books to AM Dxing!!!

Lee Freshwater did an excellent job of leading IRCA in recent years too. Way back in the 70s I wrote to him because he knew of some pirate AM stations operating in Indianapolis or Bloomington, Indiana. He sent me some printed music charts from them and other stations. I think I have a couple letters still he sent me.

Take care everyone, hope the fall dx season is good for all you dxers out there, how is it going Toomas?

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:32 pm

jon - yes I have used the Radio Heritage database in the past but tired of the constant begging for money
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote:Take care everyone, hope the fall dx season is good for all you dxers out there, how is it going Toomas?

In general, the last few nights have been poor but a couple of times some Asian stations like 1566 Korea and 1575 Thailand have been audible briefly.

KUAU 1570 Hawaii seems to show up each evening but the level is variable. Some nights its good copy for short periods but other nights it only fades up enough to be identified by religious talk. XERF has shown up a few times too; good enough for a TOH ID once.

Do any of the online databases with Pacific stations include data about time pips? Such as an mp3 sample or a description of the format? More than once I've heard TOH pips which I've never heard before but the signal is too weak to ID by voice.

How about carrier offset data? A few mornings ago, a spot check showed four carriers on 1548 but all were too weak for audio. Using lower sideband mode in an attempt to filter out 1550 (voice on 1550 is very distorted, 1548 is normal) makes it easy to check stuff like this.

That sort of data would be useful to me.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns