Over the Pole

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Over the Pole

Postby Mr.e. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 pm

While I was working with coast radio CFCP Courtney, there were two weeks every year during the month of July
a (Swedish/Finnish town not quite sure) would tune us in, apparently we would skip in there as clear as a bell for about 3-4 hours a night during the summer,not bad for a 1000 watt stn.
Mr.e.

Over the Pole

Postby jon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Mr.e. wrote:While I was working with coast radio CFCP Courtney, there were two weeks every year during the month of July
a (Swedish/Finnish town not quite sure) would tune us in, apparently we would skip in there as clear as a bell for about 3-4 hours a night during the summer,not bad for a 1000 watt stn.

I'm not doubting your story, but that is weird as most of that signal path would be in daylight 24/7 at that time of the year, at the altitude where AM signals bounce off the ionosphere. When I lived in Yellowknife, it was light enough that we played baseball all night in July, and that was a long way South of the Arctic Circle.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Over the Pole

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Here's a thought. Does a greyline path exist on the sunlit side when the path is through low-angle sunlight? In this case I notice the terminator is a few hundred km away from either city when balancing sunrise/sunset across both in late July. Does low-angle sunlight cause as strong a D-layer as full-on sunlight?

From the Lower Mainland I briefly heard Pori, Finland in Jan 2013 but it was 600 kW non-directional, all in the dark, and conditions were good for a few days. I probably would have done better with a Beverage antenna like what those Scandinavian DXers were likely using.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns