Norway Goes Digital as FM To Go Dark in 2017

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Norway Goes Digital as FM To Go Dark in 2017

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Spotted this item here; http://www.hardocp.com/news/2015/04/19/ ... TRx3RhK3b8 and elsewhere on the web.....

""Sunday April 19, 2015
Norway to Switch Off FM in 2017

In two years, Norway will be the first country in the world to completely shut down its FM network system and replace it with Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB). The transition will begin in 2017 and proceed from the north and go region by region until the transition has been completed

Today’s decision makes Norway the first country in the world to set a final date for FM-switch off. Several countries in Europe and Southeast Asia, however, are in similar processes, choosing DAB-technology as the backbone of future radio distribution. ""

Will North America be far behind? Is the broadcast and manufacturing industry ready to make the such? Is there a standard set in North America for DAB? What might the public reaction to this new reality?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Norway Goes Digital as FM To Go Dark in 2017

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:09 pm

Thanks for the link - fascinating and gives weight to my gut feeling that says that Trad Media is in real trouble and DIGITAL everything, is here to stay.

Now, that being said, there will have people using vinyl, and people will hang on to their memories - but mainstream will move on.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Unless I'm missing something here, Norway just seems to be doing the same thing on FM that North America did on TV: quit broadcasting (OTA) analogue, forcing people without digital receivers to either buy one or get a "cable television" package that includes radio.

The only major difference that I can see is, admittedly, not a small one: most people get Radio OTA (over the air), while most people get TV by Cable.

One major point of confusion is that, unlike the U.S., Norway broadcasts digital radio elsewhere, not on the FM band; the U.S. uses IBOC to allow stations to provide analogue and digital on a single assigned FM frequency. Canada is doing very little digital radio broadcasting.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:22 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Thanks for the link - fascinating and gives weight to my gut feeling that says that Trad Media is in real trouble and DIGITAL everything, is here to stay.

Actually, this IS traditional media. The networks and brands have transitioned to a a different broadcast technology. Really no different than the migration from AM to FM.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Something to think about.....made me go hmmmmmm.

Now, the next tricks to get monetization....in the mix.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:Thanks for the link - fascinating and gives weight to my gut feeling that says that Trad Media is in real trouble and DIGITAL everything, is here to stay.

Now, that being said, there will have people using vinyl, and people will hang on to their memories - but mainstream will move on.

But all that's going to happen is to replace one OTA method with another; simply because the 'new' is digital, and the 'old' has been analogue is no reason to yell as if you're trying to out-shout Chicken Little. Norwegians will still be able to use 'radios' to hear NRK's national networks, plus a major commercial operator and myriad local stations. Actually, postings to another discussion board suggest it's only NRK's nets that are being phased out... and they've been on DAB for years.

Norway has already done away with AM, as far as I can ascertain... so FM has already been a killer there!

The UK I believe has its plans to bring DAB to be the major deliverer of OTA radio in fairly short order. Oz is moving in that direction too. If it hadn't been for Jumbo dragging his feet below the 49th, we might have had some success with DAB here.

Imagine: all Vancouver stations on one band with several multiplexes, and no AM or FM? There were two sets operating for about ten years, IIRC.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns