BDXC: 50 Years Ago - What were you doing?

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

BDXC: 50 Years Ago - What were you doing?

Postby jon » Sat May 09, 2015 4:18 pm

What were you doing 50 years ago?

For me, radiofan and others, the incorrectly-named Burnaby DX Club was at its Zenith, but was as much interested in other Radio-related topics as it was DX.

It all started out of a Hobby Show at Armstrong Elementary School, which was in its first year of offering Grade 7. It was there that most of us discovered each others' interest in Radio, a few got interested in Radio based on what they had seen, and all of us learned from other members about potential "hobby areas" of Radio that we had never realized previously.

The only thing that we all shared was an interest in Radio that went beyond the local Vancouver Market. And, it being 1965, an appreciation for Top 40 Radio.

My Mother even ensured that we kept out of trouble by taking time off work to take us for tours of local Radio stations.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: BDXC: 50 Years Ago - What were you doing?

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat May 09, 2015 4:47 pm

50 years ago, I was totally Beatle immersed. Playing drums in a bad rock band, and acting like a sixteen year old dork. I was 2 years from my first taste of radio, at UVic - and I was glued to my 8 Transistor Sony.

It was an exciting time for music. The Kinks, The Stones, etc.

Oddly, I find it sad to listen to some of the older songs and lots that I played for so many years - because I have lost so many people that I associate with certain tunes. (* I have always been blessed to cross paths with so many lovely people. I won that lottery.)

I was shocked to read that if you are 58 - 1/3 of the people you went to High School with, are already gone.

Enjoy every day - and I hope you have another fifty.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat May 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:I was shocked to read that if you are 58 - 1/3 of the people you went to High School with, are already gone.

It would be interesting to know where that Stat came from.

Worldwide, it may well be true, in the sense that one third of the world's population may indeed be dead by Age 58. But I have a tough time believing it is true in British Columbia or Alberta, given how many 75 year olds are considered "Young" these days.

On the other hand, if by "gone", you mean "left their Home Town", the number is probably over Half. :mrgreen:
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat May 09, 2015 8:25 pm

That stat was from an NPR interview. I wish I could get you the URLs.

I was stunned. I am sorry I did not get it as a worldwide or Canadian stat. Muddy info. Apologies, but, man, it stunned me to hear the sucker anyhow.

Cheers. Pass the salt.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns