Denver, Yorkton .. next stop is Boise

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Postby kat » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 am

I could have sworn TD was the one in drag.

You could almost say he's dressed to the kay nines! :geek:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 am

skyvalleyradio wrote:Russ - one of the BEST spots in Vancouver for both AM & FM vehicle DX is the pull-off viewpoint overlooking the mouth of the Fraser River. This is located along the 4-lane stretch of 41st Ave within the UBC Lands and is about half-way between Camosun St and the 16th Ave intersection. There are NO power lines along there and no street lights with 'noisy' ballasts to interrupt your DXing...very quiet noise floor on AM. Try it!

A couple of other great spots are along the beach in Point Roberts or the BC Ferry terminals at Tsawwassen or Swartz Bay.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 am

at the ferry terminals, there are now too many overhead street-lamps with bad ballasts. I tried DXing 600 last Fri eve while waiting for the boat home and the hum was so bad I gave up. If you're parked right next to the terminal offices, noise from computers also becomes a factor.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 am

The Boise saga continues. This morning sirens woke me up around 3:30, so I grabbed the CC Radio. I managed to get CKWX nulled enough to get a splatter free 1140 and in came Oldies KGEM from Boise. Going up the dial, more oldies on 1370. This turned out to be KXTL from Butte, MT. 40 plus years ago I got this one verified when it was KXLF. Nice clean signal on 1500 turned out to be News/Talk KSTP from Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Later in the morning, just after 7:30 I got two new catches from Washington state. One had been eluding me since I started DXing in 1966, the other was a bonus. The bonus was KBRD or KBiRD from Lacey (a suburb of Olympia) playing some great Western Swing from the 1940's including Bob Wills. The one that has been eluding me was KOMW from Omak. They were suddenly on top of KBRD with weather for the area and a temperature of 25 degrees at the North Cascades Radio Group studios in Omak plus some spots for local businesses. There was no sign of the usual pest, KNBR from San Francisco.

The Hawaiian stuff sky got would have been nicer, but I'll settle for the two 680's from Washington for today.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:30 am

nice catches radiofan! How the hell did you null out 690 long enough to hear KBRD 680? or KOMW? I've IDed KBRD a few times here on Salt Spring during talk passages on CBU with long intervals. I've heard KOMW out at Tofino during their pre-sunrise 6am sign-on but never here at home. Both are daytimers, but sign on at 6am regardless of sunrise time. Now that CHQB Powell River is gone - try for KLDY 1280 Lacey - now has Hispanic religious talk on it which makes it easier to identify
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:36 am

radiofan - best bet for Hawaii is right at sunrise and for an hour or two after. The "night skywave" east of us is presumably gone at that point, while the Pacific is wide open as both them & us have a 'path' of darkness between us. The Hawaiians are often accompanied by the "hetrodynes" from the 100kW+ Asian broadcasters who are on frequencies spaced 9 kHz apart instead of the 10 kHz spacing we are used to (ie - 550, 560, 570 as opposed to 550, 559, 568, 577 etc). Easiest Hawaiians for me are now 590, 1110, 760, 870 & 1500.

http://hawaiiradiotv.com/
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm totally jealous of you guys. At the old house in Aldergrove DX'ing the AM band was a real thrill. Far enough from Vancouver that most of the local signals could be nulled out. KSTE 650 in Sacramento was a regular at nights, as was KXRO 1320 in Aberdeen, and KELA 1470 in Centralia-Chehalis. Here at the apartment in Maple Fridge the AM band is totally destroyed by atmospheric noise, static, and TVI. It even plays havoc with the locals, ie-there's a constant buzzzzz in the background when I try to listen to CKWX. Frustrating!
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Dan Sys wrote:there's a constant buzzzzz in the background when I try to listen to CKWX. Frustrating!

Try moving the house about 4 feet to the left.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Great advice Russ.....thanks! The weight of the wet snow on the roof of this place might just move the building that required 4 feet to the left.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:13 pm

jon wrote:The family went hiking, and I stayed in the car, DX'ing.

Now that I've had time to think about it.... that explains a lot! ;)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Cue the KJR imaging:

"The year was 1965"
jon
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to As The Dial Turns