Mystery Tower Quiz

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: Mystery Tower Quiz

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Could it possibly be the station that used to be known as CJOI-1440?
http://machinemuseum.net/
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Dan is our winner. Minor point: call letters switched to CKJR more than a decade ago.

The towers are pretty much North-South, just a few feet South of Highway 13 which runs East-West between Highway 2 (Edmonton-Calgary) and Wetaskiwin, Camrose and then slightly South (ESE) all the way to the Saskatchewan border.

W-14-40 is the branding. Oldies, with lots of '50s. Only one tower is used in the daytime as the station is only directional at night. 10KW full-time.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:59 pm

By the way, I have finally seen the CJCA four tower array. Easily visible from the new Anthony Henday ring road around Edmonton, just East of Highway 2. Very distracting driving at that point, with so many entrances and exits, as well as a lot of industrial towers and structures nearby at that point to distract you from the towers themselves. No wonder I missed it until now.

I hope to get a decent set of pictures of the site before it is knocked down, now that the CRTC has approved the move to South of Devon. But the owners may delay the move until the value of the industrial land, still within Edmonton City limits, comes out of its current slump.

As I said above, CJCA is one of those fortunate stations that was granted 50KW non-directional days.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Great quiz Jon, only Farmer Dan would have known the station. Thanks, let's have another soon.

Congrats Daniel, here's one for you. :P berry.
CKDJ RADIO P.D. ( 1967 ) for Metropolitan Burnaby
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Farmer Dan

Farmer Dan? I ditched that branding after I got the hell out of Aldergrove. I think Braindead Dan might be more appropriate these days as I'm now starting to feel like a proud part of the general populace of Maple Fridge. :blob: :naka: :blob:
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:12 pm

OK DS, you labled yourself, i just thought i'd be nice, (for a change). I just want one thing....... keep yourself away from that fridge.

And that goes for the one in your hand now. Remember a day is more than enuf, trust me. Here's one for you. :) and another :)

Take Care Daniel, we're lookin out for you ya know.
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Don't worry about Dan.....if he doesn't have one in his hand, he's got a portable I-V ! BTW, Dan, did you move the house to pick up News1130 better yet?
Last edited by Russ_Byth on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:28 pm

:? Yeah, got moved, and News 1130 still the same :shock: Oh well, See nile still has the same great signal, now if I could find that antenna for the other radio. Then I'd be :) :) :)

Ok Dan, only one, you don't want to be called BW, now do you?????
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Please another, get back on your meds, or fixed. The question was for Dan. You're more confusing than yee haw on a Saturday night. :albino:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 pm

OK, I am going to get fixed, :drunken: but no comparin' me with Yee Haw, ya here. :drunken:
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 pm

another dog wrote:OK, I am going to get fixed, :drunken: but no comparin' me with Yee Haw, ya here. :drunken:

I'm sure he's a good kid... just needs his nose slapped every now and then with a newspaper. You'd know all about that, right? heh heh. I got an early start.. I'm outta here.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:
another dog wrote:OK, I am going to get fixed, :drunken: but no comparin' me with Yee Haw, ya here. :drunken:

I'm sure he's a good kid... just needs his nose slapped every now and then with a newspaper. You'd know all about that, right? heh heh. I got an early start.. I'm outta here.

Hello, some nose slapping going on? Let's see some more towers!
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Hmmmm, I see that Another Dog appears to be speaking on my behalf. Unfortunately there was a bit of mis-information in his above posting. The house never did get moved due to structural safety issues, but I've overcome the problem by listening to WX on-line.

Russ.....I would like to know how you found out about my portable I-V. I tried so hard to keep this whole thing a secret, but now it's public knowledge. I'm so embarrassed......

Actually, I'm in total agreement with Yee Haw.....Let's see some more towers!
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Too many dogs - I think I will become a parrot or join Kat in the litter box :occasion1:

Dan - Bites observed you at the hamburger joint. we could all see your IV
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Dan Sys wrote:Let's see some more towers!

I'll do what I can, but I tried to take a better shot of the W-14-40 towers on the way home the same day, but quickly realized I was committing suicide. Highway 13 has no shoulders, and I had to drive into the snow to get my other tire off the driving lane. Not a good place to pull off the road for a photo alongside 100 km/hr. traffic.

Given the location of most towers, new pics might have to wait until Spring Thaw. Before then, I only have a lead on one picture so far, taken by someone else.
jon
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to As The Dial Turns