Mystery Tower Quiz

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: Mystery Tower Quiz

Postby jon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Well, you're right that CFCW uses a "three towers in a row" array in the daytime. But, at night, like CHED, they use a two row, 6 tower array.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:20 pm

OK, maybe a second guess....... CJCA in Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Edmonton. Jon?????
CKDJ RADIO P.D. ( 1967 ) for Metropolitan Burnaby
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:38 am

No, CJCA uses a four tower rectangular array at night, and is non-directional in the day.

This is a current photo, so the development all around the CJCA site would give them away. I'd have to check, but CJCA might be one of only two AM transmitters left within Edmonton City limits.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:57 am

There aren't too many left Jon, and a clue would be nice.

However, with another stab in the dark.......CKUA AM 580. :oops:
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 am

Wow .. looks like we now have another dog running around in circles chasing his tail .. We don't want to see a repeat of Top Dog's accident the other day!

I'll tell you CKUA is wrong.

As for a clue, did Jon ever say it was an Edmonton station?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:00 am

My guess is going to be the old CJOR towers or possibly the old C-FUN site. That is DEFINITELY Lulu Island as I can see one of the peaks of Orcas Island in the background so I'll guess its one of the tower farms located along Westminster Highway
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:14 am

Well sky ... I can guarantee you it's not Orcas Island you see in the background. It may just be cloud, but most likely it's foothills or the eastern side of the Rockies that you see. :shock:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:53 am

radiofan wrote:As for a clue, did Jon ever say it was an Edmonton station?

Aha, well then, let me take a wild shot and say....CFCN's array out past Midnapore
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Well .. we're back to the right province .. and getting closer to the right spot on the dial. Go a few hours north!
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:03 pm

yep, this pooch is still chasing tail, i mean his tail........lets try CKBA.
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:33 pm

I think the lil pooch is going the wrong way on the dial, and a little too far north :?
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm

The station broadcasts its signal across the Province of Alberta at 580 kHz on the AM band through one Edmonton-based transmitter. The signal is also carried province-wide on FM through a network of 16 transmitters. CKUA also broadcasts in western Canada on select satellite providers. As of February 29, 1996, CKUA became the first radio station in Canada to stream their broadcast online, and now has upgraded the service to carry in excess of five hundred streams. The station currently has over 160 000 weekly listeners.

Because of CKUA's extensive coverage, the station is one of only a handful of broadcasters (another being Access) to carry the Alberta Emergency Public Warning System. The provincial government-funded programme provides the station with 12% of its annual income. CKUA is especially suited as the primary originator of this service as (unlike many commercial stations) its studios are staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm

So is it official...did someone finally guess Red Deer? TD got the station, but didn't say where. It was driving me nuts to keep my mouth shut (for once, I know!)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm

CKUA's only AM transmitter, on 580 KHz, is in Edmonton. It is a three tower array at night (two in the day), but in an oddly shaped triangle, not a straight line like my picture. TD's picture is of the original CKUA 1927 transmitter site -- some kind of long wire transmitter, as I recall -- located on the University of Alberta campus where the Student's Union Building is not standing. Those original buildings in the background have been lovingly restored by the University; I've even got a picture from about 1924, of my grandfather standing in front of them.

No, my pic is not Edmonton or Red Deer. Best hint I've given so far was about the past format overlap with CHQT.

Second hint: I took the picture about a week ago. I live in Edmonton, and my parents can't sit too long in the car. They were along on the day trip to a well known Alberta museum which is only a couple of miles from these towers. The museum is doing a special "show" right now on the Ford Model T, for its 100th anniversary.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Also, there hasn't been an AM station in Red Deer for several years now.
radiofan
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to As The Dial Turns