WLS DX in 1969

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

WLS DX in 1969

Postby jon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:55 am

In honour of WLS Chicago's 85th birthday today, we have an off-air recording from Vancouver from December 1969.

Here is the best reception of WLS-890 I was ever able to record from Burnaby. This was a Monday morning, so CJVI-900 Victoria had not signed on yet after weekly transmitter maintenance, so you don't hear the usual co-channel interference.

Unfortunately, my tape recorder added a fair bit of background noise, and skywave signals have some high end audio artifacts added. So I've left the equalization just as my Lafayette HA-230 receiver modified it, with a 6dB boost at 250Hz, to improve the clarity. You'll also hear some remnants of a few lightning strikes somewhere between Vancouver and Chicago.

This is one of the few existing recordings of Bill Bailey on WLS. He was a legend in Louisville, Kentucky, but did not like Chicago, so only stayed for about 6 months at WLS. Not to be confused with another Bill Bailey at WLS, who later joined the station as the first Afro-American announcer at the station.

Although Sears had sold the station to The Prairie Farmer on October 1, 1928, they were still the largest buyer of ads on the station in 1969. Listen carefully to the tones used in the portion of the Sears ad that ends this quick clip. They are the closest thing to subliminal advertising that I've heard used on Radio. They are the same "chimes" used within each Sears store, including those in Canada, to page staff. So, anyone who had ever been in a Sears store at the time would immediately recognize them. Smart!

http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/wlsbb.mp3
jon
Advanced Member

Re: WLS DX in 1969

Postby BossRadio » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:59 pm

What a classic character voice. Sounds like his second job should be tending bar, wheeling a hack,or working as a corner cut-man for Rocky Balboa...nice grab! Reminds me just a little of the Greaseman's delivery.
Would like to hear this guy taking it out of low gear, because it sounds like he might have a wicked sense of humor in an extended bit.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Bill Bailey

Postby jon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Reelradio has a few Bill Bailey airchecks from this era of his career:
Some Bill Bailey articles from his WAKY days, including his 5 year $300,000 deal with WLS:
http://79waky.com/billbailey.htm
jon
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns