DX'er Brian Williams Passes

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

DX'er Brian Williams Passes

Postby jon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:43 pm

'60s Vancouver DX'er Brian Williams passed away this morning at Royal Columbian Hospital, after a short battle with cancer.

I knew Brian quite well for several years after he joined the DX club IRCA around 1967, where I was also a member in Burnaby. Brian lived at home in Vancouver's East End, on Yale Street. When I first met him, he worked at McLennan Motors in New Westminster, and had returned to High School, to finish Grade 11 and 12 at Vancouver City College. I remember a picture he had of himself sitting on a large log in a lumber camp, where he had been for a year or two when he first quit school and left home.

As well as DX, we also talked about music. His interests were mostly in the Country genre, and he introduced me to the music of Gordon Lightfoot, whose current album was "The Way I Feel", before I heard him on Top 40 Radio in Vancouver.

From his bedroom in the attic, he spent a lot of Sunday nights after midnight, hearing some fabulous stuff, especially in the winter. I still find it hard to believe that he regularly got a Russian station near the Siberian Pacific Coast on 1250 KHz, while KTW Seattle was on the air with 5000 watts on the same frequency. Truth be told, he knew which religious programs on KTW were on when and had the longest pauses in speech, so he could hear the Russian station the best.

Like the rest of us in those days, Brian didn't have the greatest DX equipment, but he spent the time at it, and got incredible results.

For a time, he even ran a DX Hot Line. Several of us would call him on Sunday evening to discuss our plans for DX'ing after midnight. Then we'd call him in the middle of the night to give and get tips on what he and others who'd called had heard so far. As you might guess, no one but Brian had parents that didn't reject the idea of a phone ringing in the middle of the night.

I'll undoubtedly write more later, but I wanted to get the ball rolling for those who would like to say something about Brian.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: DX'er Brian Williams Passes

Postby Dan Sys » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Brian was a great friend and mentor to me for some 40+ years. He was the kind of guy that I thought would live forever.....I'm just devistated by this news.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Obit

Postby jon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:25 pm

This appeared in yesterday's paper:

Brian Williams
WILLIAMS Brian May 14, 1948 - April 20, 2009 Brian passed away peacefully at Royal Columbian Hospital after a short battle with cancer. He is greatly missed by wife Jeannie, daughter Bronwyn and siblings Diane, Lyn and David. Please send donations to SPCA or The BC Cancer Society in lieu of flowers. Memorial gathering TBA. Email bwilliamsmemorial@gmail.com for date and location of gathering.
jon
Advanced Member

Guest Book

Postby jon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:03 pm

If you wish to leave the family your thoughts. Or just want to read what others have written:
http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx? ... ewgb_42609
is an on-line Guest Book. Complete with a nice picture of Brian and his birthday cake several decades back.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby flange » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 pm

The picture of the late Mr. Williams, and his wee daughter affected me deeply.

For some reason it beautifully captures how fleeting life is.

Everyday is a blessing. Here's to an excellent day for all of us.
flange
Advanced Member

The Picture

Postby jon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Bronwyn is helping her Dad, Brian Williams, celebrate his birthday.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby flange » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 am

Thx Jon...I should have posted it.

I just love Bronwyn's glowing face and a Proud Papa, and his happy eyes.

Lovely.
flange
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:34 am

I received this e-mail from Brian's daughter Bronwyn last night. There are some folks on this board who knew Brian that might want to attend this event.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

from Brian Williams Memorial <bwilliamsmemorial@gmail.com>
to Dan Sys <sysdan@gmail.com>
date Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:37 PM
subject Small Gathering to honor my dad
mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 11:37 PM (8 hours ago) Reply

Hi everyone.

This is Bronwyn, Brian's daughter.

I would like to thank you all for your emails and posts on the legacy website. It means a lot to both Jeannie and myself.
I created this email address so that you could all be notified of when we set a time for us all to get together and remember my Dad.

My Dad didn't want a formal memorial service or funeral of any type, but I think we would all like to get together and remember that he meant something to all of us and in some way, had an impact on each of our lives.

I have booked some time for us at the Pen Cafe in New Westminster. This is the cafe in the old gatehouse at the BC Penitentiary. My Dad and Jeannie lived just up the hill from here and this was a favourite place for them both to go. My Dad took me there many times for a good meal and good conversation.
They have blocked off half the restaurant for us from 2-4pm on Tuesday, July 21st.

I hope you can take this time to come and have a coffee, some appies and share the good memories of my Dad. This is an informal gathering and I welcome you to invite anyone that would like to join us.

If anyone has any photos that they would like to share, please email them to this address and I will ensure that they are printed out and brought on the 21st for everyone to see. Alternately, feel free to bring photos with you.

The Pen Cafe is located at:
Unit 101 - 319 Governors Court
New Westminster, BC
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 6&iwloc=r5

Please email back if you can confirm your attendance so that I can let the restaurant know approximately how many people we can expect.
I can be reached at this email address or 250-448-6522.

Thank you. I hope to see you on the 21st.

Bronwyn Williams
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks Dan, Good to hear about the get-together on July 2lst in memory of Brian Williams. He was a great guy, I certainly have fond memories of his programming on C-FAY with the Crash Williams Musical Fiasco and Drinking Party!!! I still have some of the old CFAY radio program logs from l969 written by Brian in his own handwriting. I sent copies to Jon in Edmonton awhile back. Many thanks to Brian's daughter for arranging the get-together at the ole Pen Cafe! I have never been there and unfortunately never did visit Brian where he lived in New West.. I might be able to make it on the Tuesday but I*m not sure at the moment. I will try my best though. I also had some great phone calls about dxing with Brian back in l968 or l969, he offered some really good dx tips on receiving stations. By some fluke a radio friend of mine Tom McCormack from Indiana got some of the dx reports sent to WBAA 920 West Lafayette, Indiana (where he lived and grew up). Tom was a great dxer and also a member of IRCA for many years. I think he knew Brian as well or met him at the IRCA dx convention in North Vancouver in l97l. Anyhow he sent me a dx report that Brian had sent to WBAA. I still have it somewhere in my storage, its just finding it. That in itself was a great AM dx catch from Vancouver. I remember Brian telling me about getting the WBAA verification or QSL card way back then. He was quite pleased about that!!! I also have photos of Brian in front of the C-Fay studios in l969 but I think those are back east at my Baltimore, Ontario (Cobourg) address in photo albums.

I may have the photo negatives out here though. I have a ton of them in my storage to check though. When I find them or get back east I will make copies and forward them out here. I do have a couple photos of Brian from the DX convention in l97l. If I can make it on Tuesday, July 2lst I'll bring what I have with me. Thanks again Dan for your e-mail and posting the info. about this on Radio West. I liked the photo of Brian and his little daughter on this topic too. All the best to you and sure am sorry Brian isn't still with us. There are a lot of things I would have liked to tell him about. It was nice seeing him at one your dx get-togethers in Aldergroove a few years ago Dan! The last week or so have been quite busy for us so I haven't had a chance to respond to your e-mail sooner, sorry about that. Yes really enjoyed visiting you and Linda in Maple Fridge as well, Ann enjoyed it as well. You have a great location in Maple Fridge!!!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 am

Hi everyone, Just thought I would pass along a few comments about the get-together at the Ole Pen Cafe in New Westminster yesterday afternoon. It was a hot afternoon and most of the radio west members that attended had not actually been in the cafe before. I myself had not and took a bit of time finding the entrance. The stairs from Columbia Street were under some kind of construction and blocked by a gate with a sign. So you have to go up the hill and then enter enter from the street above. It was a good gathering with many of Brian William's relatives there. it was great to meet Bronwyn (Brian's daughter) and others there. We had a nice time remembering Brian and his radio activities as well !!! Nice to see RadioFan, Dan Sys and Linda, anotherdog (Doug) and Bill there. The photo album of Brian was well done with some great pictures.

I brought along some old CFAY Radio Logs from l969 and gave some out as well. It kind of takes you back in time to read them and see Brian's handwriting there. Anyway great seeing everyone there including the Radio West members! Too bad it wasn't a bit cooler outside in the temperature dept.. I hope you didn't melt heading back to Maple Fridge in Rush Hour Traffic Dan and Linda! Take care everyone, all the best!!! I'll certainly have fond memories of Brian for a long time!!!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to As The Dial Turns