Live Local and Latebreaking?

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Live Local and Latebreaking?

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 pm

The North Burnaby neighborhood terrorized by last week's pellet gun and bear spray rampage are waiting to hear the results of the suspect's second hearing Monday morning in New West. Will he be heading over with a real rifle this pm? Will he cool his heels in the jug a while more at least?
They're getting hourly reports on Susan Boyle instead.
Weak.
Last edited by David in North Burnaby on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you thought of Allat and al-'Uzza and Manat the third, the other? These are the exalted Gharaniq, whose intercession is to be hoped for. (Q.53) Satan's Version

http://davidinnorthburnablog.blogspot.com/
David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Re: Live Local and Latebreaking?

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Makes the "Save Local TV" blather seem rather weak, doesn't it?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

But, but, without local tv, who would keep us up to date on those two exhibitionists with the 8 kids and the reality show? :lol:
Have you thought of Allat and al-'Uzza and Manat the third, the other? These are the exalted Gharaniq, whose intercession is to be hoped for. (Q.53) Satan's Version

David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:24 pm

David in North Burnaby wrote:The North Burnaby neighborhood terrorized by last week's pellet gun and bear spray rampage are waiting to hear the results of the suspect's second hearing Monday morning in New West. Will he be heading over with a real rifle this pm? Will he cool his heels in the jug a while more at least?
They're getting hourly reports on Susan Boyle instead.
Weak.

Could this perhaps be a case of "don't shoot the messenger? Ever think that the cops haven't released any new information? Pretty quick to jump to "Weak" aren't you David in North Burnaby? Oh, no, I know, the news rooms know all the latest information, but they're keeping it to themselves,yeah, that's it :wink:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm

So, no-one covers cops and courts anymore, they just wait for releases. Wow. I'm impressed. That shut me up.

David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm

cover the courts??? NAW, they're too busy tracking down the local elementary school that's working on a Get Well Soon card for Susan Boyle. (wouldn't put it past them!)
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Not in the biz are you D I N B.
If you were, you'd know that resources are constantly stretched to the limit. One person takes the day off sick and you're down to one reporter, or maybe none. I have no contacts in the newspaper biz, but that's the way it is in radio (especially) and TV. Throw in vacations, and you're hooped. The days of george garrett hanging out at the cop shop or the courts are long gone. I think John Daly does a pretty good job at Global when it comes to that beat. Hell, I hear it was hard enough to cover the airport tazering inquiry. Why do you hear about Susan Boyle??? ... because its supplied.
But back to the topic at hand. If someone was killed in the pellet gun incident in Bby, you can bet your ass they'd cover it. But remember, its what, the dude's second appearance? . Why don't you call the courts and ask yourself? (Be faster than listening for a news report too) Do you know the guy or someone who got hit. Be happy he's off the street and go about your business.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:23 pm

David in North Burnaby wrote:So, no-one covers cops and courts anymore, they just wait for releases. Wow. I'm impressed. That shut me up.

You are quite the jump to conclusions guy. Who said anything about waiting for a release. Could it maybe happen like this?
Reporter: Hey cops, anything more on the pellet gun guy?
Cops: No.
It's not indepth investigative reporting, but it might be a little closer to the truth than "waiting for a release" :sad3:
I can tell you've spent all of 15 seconds in a news room of any kind. More like you have a hate on for local news.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:43 pm

"Do you know ... someone who got hit?"

As a matter of fact I do. A number of. Perhaps that's why it doesn't seem so minor. If one guy had been hit an inch to the left he'd be dead. And he got a faceful of bear spray. Not so minor to him.
If organizations don't put resources into doing their job, in this case news gathering, is it any wonder they're in such dire straits?

David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:38 pm

One more time....except this time with a newspaper on the nose.... no one was killed.
The mouse is right.... if something comes out of the courts, or is new from the cops... it will be reported. There simply aren't enough butts to put in chairs.
Has the evening news even been on TV yet? (445PT right now) Don't think so. Unless you want them to break into Oprah or General Hospital....
have you made that call to the court registry yet?
Why don't you become a citizen journalist had help them out. Did you even call one of the tv or radio stations so as to maybe jog an editors memory?
If the answer's no, then you have no right to bitch... same as not voting in an election.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:41 pm

"no one was killed."

Don't remember saying anyone was. That's the only criteria, is it? No-one killed, doesn't matter. No wonder Canwest's broke.

"Why don't you become a citizen journalist had help them out."

And miss the sort of wondrous prose turned out? Besides, I thought the legacy media had only scorn for "citizen journalists". Now they want them to "help them out". Seems they're helping themselves ... out of bizness.

David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Such a big fuss the media are making out of nothing yet again:

"An 18-year-old male is in custody and facing charges Monday after he gathered an arsenal that included a shotgun and batons and posted a hit list with 117 names – 71 of them staff and students at his Vancouver high school – on Facebook."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/youth-arrested-after-hit-list-posted-on-facebook/article1163870/

What's the big deal? No-one was killed.

David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 pm

You really should limit your comments to sports related matters, where you shine!

Now who's putting words in other people's mouths? No-one said that 'was the criteria' (getting killed) I'm merely suggesting that in these days of short-staffing and cutbacks, each station has to decide the stories to cover that will 'be of interest' to the greater number of people.

You seem to have this focus on CanWest...did CTV or CBC have it on the news tonight?

I'm sorry, but IMHO, the Bby incident was a one day deal which will probably be well covered by the local papers. Oops, just checked Burnaby Now and the website doesn't have an update since Saturday. Why don't you get on their case?

And you still haven't answered some basic questions. Did you bother to call the stations during the day and ask them if they were covering it? Did you bother to call the court registry (he appeared in Van. Prov. BTW) to find out for yourself, or are you going to continue to whine about it.

As for your comment about the school kid with the hit list.. it was new today, just like your Bby pellet thing was covered last week when it was new and happening. Duuhhhh
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:You really should limit your comments to sports related matters, where you shine!

Now who's putting words in other people's mouths? No-one said that 'was the criteria' (getting killed) I'm merely suggesting that in these days of short-staffing and cutbacks, each station has to decide the stories to cover that will 'be of interest' to the greater number of people.

You seem to have this focus on CanWest...did CTV or CBC have it on the news tonight?

I'm sorry, but IMHO, the Bby incident was a one day deal which will probably be well covered by the local papers. Oops, just checked Burnaby Now and the website doesn't have an update since Saturday. Why don't you get on their case?

And you still haven't answered some basic questions. Did you bother to call the stations during the day and ask them if they were covering it? Did you bother to call the court registry (he appeared in Van. Prov. BTW) to find out for yourself, or are you going to continue to whine about it.

As for your comment about the school kid with the hit list.. it was new today, just like your Bby pellet thing was covered last week when it was new and happening. Duuhhhh

Hey Mr. Howaboutthathighbloodpressure, it really isn't worth the time to respond to this Poor David. He has made it quite clear he doesn't have a clue how any newsroom works, radio, tv, newspapers, or even websites. Even that Cleaver guy has abandoned the thread, and that takes something :shock: So why waste time with him. I have a feeling he might have been tossed from Canwest/global by the way he talks. Or maybe still works there, and nobody listens to him. Wonder why? :sad3:
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Hey D I N B.... if you want to rant about things, (and apparently that's all you do because you haven't updated us on anything about the pellet gun incident) please keep them on your blog. (or doesn't anyone pay attention) Don't cut and paste your little diatribes over to respectable discussion forums such as this from your little soapbox. :sign9:
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Next

Return to As The Dial Turns