NEWS 1130

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

NEWS 1130

Postby mightymouth » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:39 am

Up front, let me say that I'm a regular News 1130 listener, and not a fan of the Olympics. But lately, I've become disappointed in the quality of the News 1130 reporting. Case in point? The Olympic flame arriving in Whistler.

The daughter of one of the "Crazy Canucks", 21 year old Julia Murray, (who's Father, Dave Murray, died in 1990) carried the torch up Whistler Mountain on a snowmobile to pass it off to Steve Podborski, another member of the Crazy Canucks, who then took the flame down the hill on skis to bring the flame to a youngster named Tyler Allison.
Now for the late Dave Murray's daughter, and Steve Podborski, that must have been a very emotional moment.

Well guess what sports fans, the WX reporter breathlessly reported that the flame was taken up the hill by snowmobile and a skier brought it down to pass it off to .....wait for it......Tyler Allison.

Bush league reporting my friends. And a damn shame! Hey News 1130, the "official radio station of the 2010 Olympic games" get your s-it together.
Don't send a boy to do a man's job.
BUSH LEAGUE on this one. And I don't want to hear any excuses. :sad3:

P
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Re: NEWS 1130

Postby yathink » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:56 am

"Youth is wasted on the young."
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:16 am

yathink wrote:"Youth is wasted on the young."

so what' s the matter with the youth?
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:41 am

You're quite right, Mighty ... there is no excuse for that.

Even worse is the once-mighty CBC.

When the torch first arrived, it was carried in a beautiful big Haida canoe by the chiefs of the First Nations ... all decked out in full ceremonial regalia ... rowed to the dock in Victoria ... where the chiefs all got out, and, in heartfelt and eloquent words, welcomed the Olympic torch, and all the peoples of the world, to their traditional ancestral lands.

Or, at least we think they were heartfelt and eloquent words, but we couldn't hear them .. because the mental midgets they had 'reporting' at the scene talked right over the top of every single speech. You couldn't hear a damn word !

It was supposed to have been a moving moment.

I, for one, was moved to get right on the phone to the CBC and blast those morons ... then send a follow-up letter, to which I received some half-hearted, or half-arsed, 'apology'.

But the moment was lost.

What amateur hour reporting, having a couple of reporters giggling away like schoolgirls, and breathlessly 'reporting' " I remember when I was a little girl, I liked the Olympics on tv ' ... blah, blah, blah ... while the Chiefs were talking ... and they were standing right there ... in front of them ! ... They, the 'reporters' kept getting louder and louder, so they completely drowned out every single word any of them were saying.

I couldn't believe my ears. In the first place it was rude and disrespectful, as it would have been to talk over anyone. In the second place, what were they doing there if they weren't going to report on the story ?

But, that is the state of the 'talent' they hire sometimes now ... They think they are the story ... The 'me' entitlement generation who thinks that what they think about what is happening is more important than what is actually happening ... and they can't seem to wait to comment on something, if indeed comment is even necessary, until after it is over ... and they also can't imagine that any of we listeners or viewers might have a modicum of brains to form our own opinions on what we might hear ... if only we could hear it !

Evidently there ain't no-one to ride herd on 'em and rein 'em in ... Shame.

Makes me long for Peter Mansbridge. He has, many a time in the past, when someone has gotten too giddy to remember to shut the hell up during a momentous news event ( such as a Royal Wedding or funeral, even, for heaven's sake ), then stepped in and gently saved them from themselves by saying " Let's listen ". And we did listen. If we didn't want to hear it, we could turn it off our own selves ... we didn't have that choice taken away from us. This is what, for a long time, separated the great Canadian news reportage from some of the inane American reporting, is that they refrained from 'analyzing' the story while it was happening, and, instead, let it play out ... recognizing that their mandate was to report ... to be our eyes and ears , and let us see and hear just what was going on.

Whatever one might think of the Olympics, we have to recognize that there are things being seen and done and events taking place which showcase some of the ways that Canada is unique in all the world ... First Nations Chiefs, the once-mighty Haida nation, the cooperation between the tribes ( albeit it may be short-lived for the Olympics ), the torch being taken by dogsled in Labrador-Newfoundland, the far north, where a jet had never before landed at their airport, and many more sights and sounds which people around the world marvel over. Yes, some of them might seem cliche to us, and we might be jaded, or even cringe at some of the 'stereotypes' ... but at least we should show some respect whilst reporting on them ... or else not bother to report on them at all.

I cringed when I thought what someone picking up that news feed would think, hearing that high-school gab and chatter, at such a 'momentous' event ... And it wasn't like they were picked up accidentally not listening, with their mic's open ... They were proud of that bullshit chatter, and didnt' want to leave a second of silence on their own mic's ... Never mind that the Chiefs were all standing on a podium in front of mic's of their own ! ... Whether we think it is 'important' or not, it doesn't matter ... the fact is, like it or not, we are throwing a party to which the whole world has been invited, and the whole world is watching ... so we oughta get it right.

Cheers ~
Mrs. P.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby oldradiodog » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:11 am

You're suprised Mighty? News1130 is the radio equal to those free transit newspapers. They hardly ever break a story and too many details would just make getting to traffic and weather together on the ones a challenge.

By the way, does 1130 have someone at the wheel now? I know it's been a few months since Jacquie (sp?) Donaldson was nuked.
oldradiodog

Postby tuned » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 am

Just more quality radio from the fine folks at Rogers. They manage to make Astral and Corus look good. I am also a long time listener of News 1130 and have noticed a deterioration in the quality of their presentation. The problem with Rogers is that nothing is ever enough. If people are willing to work for 12 bucks an hour maybe we can get them for ten. If we can get by with ten reporters why not eight? In my travels I come into contact with all of the corporate broadcasters and Rogers is the worst by a long shot. Their arrogance and lack of even basic social niceties is appalling. Thankfully I don't have to do business with them and quite frankly if they were the only game in town I'd find a new game. Rogers gets much abuse heaped on it but it pales in comparison to what they dish out to not only their "customers" but employees and suppliers. If you want to make an argument against big business Rogers is a textbook case.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:53 am

As I mentioned on SOWNY, the new guy driving the bus at Rogers is aptly named: Nadir.
Look it up in the dictionary.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:46 am

na⋅dir
the lowest point; point of greatest adversity or despair.
Synonyms:
bottom, floor, foot, depths.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 pm

But, that is the state of the 'talent' they hire sometimes now .

==============================

No that's the state of the industry with respect to economics.
They hire the cheapest warm body they can get away with. Money Talks.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby oldradiodog » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:59 pm

God this people have a screwed up vision of what NEWS is. This was in this week's "Insider" newsletter from NEWS1130.....

The Great Debate…or Not

Radio is always in flux. What we do today, we might not tomorrow. But one thing is always consistent when it comes to News1130: The guarantee we are always striving to provide you with the news you need, want and crave.

You may have noticed that this past weekend. We didn’t wait for the Academy Awards to air on local TV. It may have seemed like the obvious thing to do but it wasn’t that simple. We were looking for a balance between giving you the most up to date information and not angering those of you who wanted to watch the show on its tape-delayed broadcast.

But in the era of Twitter and Facebook, how could we honestly suggest we were giving you the most current information when, in fact, all the details was already out there! If you could look on the web and discover the likes of Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges were going home with statuettes, why weren’t you hearing it on your favourite radio station? It just didn’t make sense that people living in New York, Toronto, Montreal and, yes, even Dildo, Newfoundland and Labrador would know who won a coveted Oscar before you did.

Still, we did our best not to force the information on you. In our Breaking News Alerts, we made sure to keep the subject line ambiguous so if you planned on watching Hollywood’s biggest night, we weren’t going to spoil the party for you.

Thanks to our Jim Bennie, who was on the Oscar beat, Sunday was a perfect example of another promise kept by News1130 - making sure you get the latest news when you need it.
oldradiodog

Postby jawbone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Am I missing something in this? I'm pretty sure that I watched them LIVE here in Vancouver. I guess no one at News1130 decided to check on that before they sent out the self congratulatory note. Now, I could have been been watching the eastern feed. Anyone else? Was it live here?
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:41 pm

jawbone wrote:Am I missing something in this? I'm pretty sure that I watched them LIVE here in Vancouver. I guess no one at News1130 decided to check on that before they sent out the self congratulatory note. Now, I could have been been watching the eastern feed. Anyone else? Was it live here?

I'm with you professor. I thought a 5:30 start would indicate that the show was live? And who writes that Insider stuff...to quote "in fact, all the details was already out there!" All the details WAS out there?

:?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Jim Bennie - what a great newser.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jawbone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Jim Bennie - what a great newser.

I have no doubt about that.

It is unfortunate, however, that those who attach his name to their releases, do not check their facts, or grammar, as thoroughly as I'm sure Mr. Bennie does.
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Duh!
The show was live in Hollyweird, at 5:30pm Pacific Standard Time.
It's done that way so it will show in prime time in the east, ie: an 8:30pm Eastern Standard Time start.
Elementary, my dear Watson and I mean, elementary school.
Glad to see that new American consultant is right on top of his game!
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Next

Return to As The Dial Turns