So Long KGO

Radio news from the USA

So Long KGO

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 pm

KGO radio going to news format - veterans leaving

Phil Matier,Andrew Ross, Chronicle Columnists

Thursday, December 1, 2011

(12-01) 18:55 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- A big shakeup is coming to KGO radio: Many of its most recognizable voices are being let go as the station, which can be heard up and down the West Coast, switches to "all-news" format from 2 p.m. to midnight starting Monday.

"What we are doing is adding a tremendous amount of news content to KGO," Paul Hosley, the station's news and program director, told us late Tuesday shortly after staff was notified of the changes.

Among those who will leave the station are talk-show veterans Gene Burns, Gil Gross, Ray Taliaferro and John Rothmann.

Ronn Owens, who reportedly has one of the highest-paying contracts in radio, will continue his popular morning show from 9 a.m. to noon. Brian Copeland will also keep his weekend show.

The switches come amid major turbulence in the Bay Area media market. KGO's one-time dominance in the a.m. Arbitron ratings has taken a big dive in recent years as increasing numbers of listeners have switched to satellite and internet radio. Just two months ago, Citadel Broadcasting sold both KGO (810 a.m.) and its sister station, KSFO (560 a.m.), to rival Cumulus Media, which already owned four other stations in the market, including all-sports KNBR (680 a.m.).

One station insider told us KGO had simply lost its way and hopes to reinvigorate itself with a news-driven format.

Incidentally, it's longtime moniker "Newstalk 810" will also be replaced. The new slug: "KGO-810 - the Bay Area news and information station."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1fLTa8O4j
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: So Long KGO

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:44 am

More on what happened at KGO on Thursday.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: So Long KGO

Postby jon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:58 am

A friend in Seattle tells me that his mother and in-laws, all well into their 80s, still listened to KGO-810 until this change, despite a local on 820 with 50KW day and 5KW night. I'm not sure where his in-laws live, but his mother actually lives pretty much in the community of license, Burien, where, ironically, the station has a null in its directional pattern both day and night -- the transmitter is on Vashon Island.

Although KFBK-1530 Sacramento's amazing transmitter/tower setup may prove me wrong with its great nighttime signal, I'm still pretty confident saying that KGO was the strongest California signal into Burnaby 24/7 until I left in 1974. Both KGO and KFBK have Figure 8 directional patterns day and night with the North node centred just West of Due North.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News