FCC Unveils Proposed AM Revitalization Plan

Radio news from the USA

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:02 pm

November 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM (PT)

The FCC's AM revitalization proposal has been released as a Notice of Proposed Rule Making, and the contents include an exclusive FM translator filing window for AM stations, changes in community of license coverage standards, the end of the AM "ratchet rule," wider implementation of modulation-dependent carrier level control standards, and changes in AM antenna efficiency standards.

The release of the proposal has been widely anticipated by AM licensees and permittees since Commissioner and Acting Chair MIGNON CLYBURN said it was coming at the NAB/RAB RADIO SHOW in ORLANDO (NET NEWS 9/18).

The translator window would allow AM stations one shot at one single FM translator within the AM signal daytime contour, to be permanently linked to the AM so that it may only be sold or transferred with the underlying AM license. The change in community of license coverage would reduce the requirement from 100% days/80% nights to 50% day and night coverage within the 60 dBu contour, as it is for noncommercial educational FM stations.

The proposal would also do away with the "ratchet rule," skywave protection requirements that result in stations moving their transmitter locations having to reduce power and, thereby, nighttime coverage, and would alter the minimum efficiency standard for AM antennas by reducing the existing minimum effective field strength values. The notice also opens the floor for new proposals to help AM stations.
Comments are due 60 days after publication in the Federal Register, with replies due 90 days after publication.

The NAB Take

In a prepared statement, NAB Pres./CEO GORDON SMITH said: "NAB salutes the leadership of Acting Chair MIGNON CLYBURN and FCC Commissioner AJIT PAI for taking a strong interest in revitalizing AM radio, which has a long and storied history of providing AMERICA's hometowns with news, entertainment, sports and community affairs information. AM radio is a cultural touchstone and jobs generator in cities large and small; many of the top revenue-generating stations are on the AM band. We strongly endorse the revitalization proceeding and stand ready to work with the FCC to develop meaningful solutions."

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... =mail_news
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: FCC Unveils Proposed AM Revitalization Plan

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Greetings,
Thanks for posting this Radiofan, interesting. I had already seen as lot about this on various AM radio stations Facebook groups I belong too. WHat I would really like to see the FCC do is implement a LOW POWER AM RADIO SERVICE JUST LIKE THEY HAVE DONE FOR LOW POWER FM QUITE A FEW YEARS AGO. THIS PAST MONTH THEY HAVE RECEIVED PLENTY MORE APPLICATIONS FOR MAYBE OVER 1000 MORE NEW LPFMS IN THE USA. ALREADY THERE ARE ABOUT 800 LOW POWER FM STATIONS ON THE AIR IN THE USA.

BUT ACROSS THE USA THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF PART 15 LOW POWER AM STATIONS OPERATING WITH LEGAL FCC CERTIFIED TRANSMITTERS (tHEY ARE NOT PIRATE STATIONS WHICH OPERATE AT MUCH HIGHER POWER AND LONGER ANTENNAS ON THE AM and Shortwave bands)... Many of these stations such as WPAU 1640 PAULDING, OHIO AND KCRJ 1670 (the Gulch) Jerome, Arizona operate 24 hours with all local programming some of it locally automated! NOW THE FCC SHOULD GIVE THESE VERY LOCAL AND INDEPENDENTLY OWNED STATIONS A CHANCE TO APPLY FOR A LOW POWER AM FREQUENCY IF THEY WANT TO AND MANY OF THEM DO!!! SAY WITH 100 WATTS OR SO AS AN EXAMPLE. I AM NOT SURE HOW MANY ARE AWARE OF IT BUT IN THE USA THE FCC WILL GENERALLY NOT LICENSE AM STATIONS BELOW 250 WATTS WHETHER COMMERCIAL OR NON-COMMERCIAL STATIONS. IN OTHER WORDS THEY HAVE NO LOW POWER AM STATION POLICY. IN CANADA WE DO, YOU CAN APPLY FOR A 5 WATT LOW POWER DEVELOPMENTAL LICENSE ALTHOUGH MOST STATIONS IN CANADA HAVE APPLIED FOR LOW POWER 5 WATT FM LICENSES TO THIS POINT. I DEFINITELY AM THINKING OF GOING FOR A LOW POWER AM LICENSE AT 5 WATTS IN THE NEAR FUTURE!!!! ALTHOUGH I LIKE FM BROADCASTING A LOT MY FIRST LOVE IS AM AND WILL BE FOREVER!!!!

ALSO IN CANADA WE HAVE SEVERAL STATIONS ACROSS THE COUNTRY THAT HAVE BEEN LICENSED FOR LOW POWER AM FOR MANY YEARS NOW, ONE IS CHMO 1450 (50 Watts) MOOSONEE, ONTARIO. THERE ARE SEVERAL IN ATLANTIC CANADA TOO. IN ADDITION TO THAT BRITISH COLUMBIA HAS HAD SEVERAL COMMERCIAL LOW POWER AM REPEATER STATIONS ON 1450 ETC. FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS IN NORTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA. REPEATER STATIONS OF THE PRINCE GEORGE AM WHICH IS NOW ON FM OF COURSE. THESE COMMERCIAL AM REPEATERS OPERATED ALSO WITH ABOUT 50 WATTS ALTHOUGH DID NOT PROVIDE LOCAL PROGRAMMING. I won't go into detail about locations but I am sure everyone is familiar with all the many low power repeater AM stations the CBC has operated across Canada for many years now, although CBC is putting quite a few of them on FM, there are still quite a few 40 watt LPRT AMs left on AM. About 36 years ago I bought a LPRT AM transmitter used by the CBC in Fernie, B.C. on 860 khz. years ago. Came complete with manuals etc... Great find which I bought from Ham Shack Electronics on Granville Street in Vancouver, B.C. back around 1973 or so. Years later I sold in 1994 when we were living in Mission, B.C. to a Vancouver radio collector. I wish I would have kept it. However I only paid about 50 bucks for it and sold it for 400 dollars. The LPRT worked too just had quite a bit of dust and a few cobwebs I had to clean out! Minor cleaning. I must tell you the CBC operating/maintenance manuals that came with it were really detailled and most interesting to read, they did not miss one thing out about operating this LPRT properly! I may have photocopied the manual and have it in Langley, I know I have photographs I took of it sitting in the CFAY studios in Surrey. If I remember correctly I think Ham Shack Electronics had several LPRTs for sale at the time but one of the others had been sold before I got there.

Anyway just a few comments on Am and in particular Low Power Am of which I am very interested in! Makes for a real dxers challenge too. Speaking of that Toomas or Jon what are your best Low Power AM dx catches???? One of mine would be KIQS 1560 Willows, California at 250 watts Daytime Only verified by letter from the station back in the 70s. Great reception at sunrise skip one morning with 10,000 watt KPMC 1560 Bakersfield, California on the air too!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Re: FCC Unveils Proposed AM Revitalization Plan

Postby jon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote:what are your best Low Power AM dx catches????

I thought it best to start a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14765
jon
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News