Legendary DJ Landecker quits WLS FM

Radio news from the USA

Legendary DJ Landecker quits WLS FM

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:43 am

Legendary Chicago DJ Landecker quits WLS FM

posted on July 27, 2015 at 8:15 pm by Robert Feder

John Records Landecker, one of Chicago radio’s most celebrated disc jockeys, is calling it quits. His last show as evening host on Cumulus Media classic hits WLS FM 94.7 will be Friday.

Landecker, 68, who’s been working without a contract since he started in January 2012, said the decision to leave was entirely his own.

“People use the word ‘retire.’ I don’t — at least not yet. ‘Retire’ says it’s over,” he told listeners in a prepared announcement Monday. “I say things like: ‘My biological grandfather clock is ticking.’ . . . It’s time to go and see if any of those things that I’ve claimed to want to try for years are really things I want to try.”

In an interview earlier Monday, Landecker said this was the first time in his career he was leaving a radio station voluntarily without having another job lined up. “I’m not leaving 94.7 WLS with the intention of going on another radio station at all,” he said. “If I do somewhere, fine. If I don’t, fine. But if I do, it’s definitely going to be on my terms 100 percent.”

One thing he knows he won’t miss is the music he’s been playing night after night: “I graduated from high school in 1965. All I really want to hear is the ’60s. I’ve had it with the ’70s, the ’80s, now and all that. I don’t want to hear any of that stuff anymore. In about 10 years, maybe I’ll want to hear it again.”

Landecker said his immediate plans are to visit his daughters and granddaughter in Los Angeles. (One daughter, actress Amy Landecker, stars in the Amazon comedy series “Transparent,” now in production on its second season.) After that, he hopes to pursue other projects — “things I have thought about for years” — including writing a screenplay and podcasting. “The world of possibilities opens up,” he said.

No word yet on a replacement for Landecker from 8 to 11 p.m. weekdays. WLS FM has been without a program director since July 15 when Jan Jeffries transferred to WRQX in Washington, D.C. Although he and Jeffries were close, Landecker said he made his decision to leave before he learned of Jeffries’ departure.

As fans well know, Landecker’s destiny was foreshadowed at birth in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where his parents chose his mother’s maiden name — Records — as his middle name. “They had no way of knowing that their son would become a radio disc jockey, or that this name they had chosen would become my unlikely calling card,” he wrote in Records Truly Is My Middle Name, his critically acclaimed 2013 memoir published by Eckhartz Press.

Landecker took Chicago by storm in 1972 when he landed the nighttime shift at 50,000-watt powerhouse WLS AM 890. While still in his 20s, he elevated Top 40 radio to performance art each night with his quick wit, high energy and rapid-fire style, honing such trademark bits as “Boogie Check” and “Americana Panorama.” “I haven’t worked at a radio station before or since that had the kind of camaraderie we had at WLS in the 1970s,” Landecker recalled in his book. “It was like one big non-stop party.”

Except for brief detours in Toronto and Cleveland, he spent most of his career on the air in Chicago, including stints at WLUP, WAGO, WCKG, WJMK, WZZN, WGN, back at WLS AM, and, since 2012, at WLS FM. He officially achieved legendary status when he was enshrined in the radio wing of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, WLS FM tied for 21st in evenings with a 1.8 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 265,100.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/07/27/l ... ts-wls-fm/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Legendary DJ Landecker quits WLS FM

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am

Landecker is second only to Latremouille in my Jock "Pantheon". I listened to John every night I could, when I lived and worked in Ottawa and Toronto.

He was incredibly sharp.

I wish him every success - he was my inspiration and I carry wonderful memories of cold winter nights, laughing with Landecker.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm

It sure would be nice if WLS did a "one off" simulcast with WLS-AM for Friday's show.

Not that I would have a chance to hear it here (Edmonton), as the last time I heard WLS was just before CHQT switched from 1110 to 880. Since then, there have also been other stations appear on 890.

Despite CJVI-900's strong signal into Vancouver, I put up with some splatter while listening to WLS many an evening while doing homework in (Junior and Senior) High School.

Landecker's book is available on amazon (.ca and .com) Kindle for about $10.

Haven't checked on shipping prices, but the publisher has reduced the price of the paper book to $15.95 U.S.: http://eckhartzpress.com/shop/records-t ... ddle-name/
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:13 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:he was my inspiration and I carry wonderful memories of cold winter nights, laughing with Landecker.

What Tom said.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News