Sunday Night Talk Shows

Radio news from the USA

Sunday Night Talk Shows

Postby jon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Sunday Late Night Talk Shows hit new Lows last night.

One of the U.S. radio networks was airing a re-run of a show originally aired, it seemed, Thursday night. The host spent all of the show that I heard speculating on what President Trump's first legal "act" would be.

This guy was totally serious about his prediction: President Trump's first priority would be rescinding President Obama's minor tweaks to the end of incandescent bulbs, by outlawing tri-lights and oddly-shaped bulbs, which, like here in Canada, were still for sale in the U.S. after the previous ban on the sale of most incandescent bulbs.

He ranted continuously for the entire time that I was tuned in about how it was his right as an American to buy as many incandescent bulbs as he wanted, because he liked them better than the LED and CFL bulbs that replaced them.

I should explain why I "hung around" so long: I was trying to ID the stations I heard weakly behind the station carrying this guy's re-run show.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Sunday Night Talk Shows

Postby SKradiophile » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:19 pm

If only this was one of the lows. If you=or any of us have a strong stomach=there are myriads of these hatemongers on (mostly) US am airwaves. They find the red meat their listeners crave and start spewing. :oops:
SKradiophile
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Funny how things change over time, but really just move from one place to another when you dig a little deeper.

Admittedly, I wasn't a big fan of Talk Radio in the Sixties. My understanding from what I've read is that what Pat Burns did at CJOR that cost the station its license in the mid-1960s was mild compared to what we are discussing here.

So, I think it would be fair to say that broadcast regulations on both sides of the border (FCC and BBG) kept the lid on what talk show hosts could get away with in the 1960s.

The closest thing to what we see today was buried in among the paid religious programming, usually in the middle of the night. The late Brian Williams was an avid Vancouver DX'er in the late 1960s and told me, at the time, what he was hearing in the middle of the night. He was not up at that time to listen to these guys, but knew which ones had long pauses where he could hear another station underneath. Most notably a Russian station on the Pacific Coast on the same frequency as KTW in Seattle.

The one name that I still remember Brian talking about is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_McIntire
A quick read indicates, as well as buying time for his program on a lot of U.S. stations, he lost the license to a station he owned and took a brief shot at running a ship-based pirate station.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:12 pm

The only significant live talk shows on Sunday night in the US are Bill Cunningham and Red Eye radio.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News