Coast-to-Coast on KGO

Radio news from the USA

Coast-to-Coast on KGO

Postby kal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Not sure if Coast-to-Coast AM has ever run on KGO 810, but that's where I heard it last night, in the old Bill Wattenburg (sure miss his programming) slot. Not sure if it is a daily offering but imagine it must be.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Coast-to-Coast on KGO

Postby jon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Interesting.

Their web site lists John Batchelor doing late nights and overnights:
http://www.kgoradio.com/programmingschedule/
http://www.kgoradio.com/johnbatchelor/
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Right. Batchelor has some wonderful programming, particularly related to historical events.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm

There's some coverage here:

https://www.facebook.com/NoMoreKGO/

It seems that the show is running on tape delay on KGO. ... Just looked a little further. Live on the weekend, delay 1 am to 5 am weekdays.

Interestingly, KGO does not yet appear on the C2C station lineup page for California. However, C2C does have a release here:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/n ... pril-17th/
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:08 pm

KGO was talk at night with "Ira Blue", back in the Sixties, late nights.

It's a clear channel.

Listened every summer.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Not so clear anymore, for technical reasons others have described, particularly worsening over the last decade or so.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Night propagation on the AM band this past month has been atrocious due to a very active sun in conjunction with the change in season & lengthening daylight. Some nights many frequencies that should have 3-5 stations deep are absolutely dead. Yet, on the worst of these, KGO still makes it through with a listenable signal & dominates 810. At times, I've been able to 'null out' KGO's signal enough to hear CKJS Winnipeg & suspect at times I can hear WHB 810 Kansas City in behind it. However, I haven't been able to ID WHB since the late 70's & even with reduced coverage, still can't null or phase out KGO enough to pull the suspected signal through.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Yes, even here in Edmonton, I have yet to hear anything under KGO. And I better hurry up if I want to hear CKJS Winnipeg, as the CRTC has a hearing in June that will start the ball rolling on a flip to FM.

Hard to believe that 810 once had stations in Victoria and Calgary. Even in Vancouver, KGO was easy pickens under CFAX-810 both day and night when I started DX'ing in the mid-1960s.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hazmat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 am

"...Hard to believe that 810 once had stations in Victoria and Calgary. Even in Vancouver, KGO was easy pickens under CFAX-810 both day and night when I started DX'ing in the mid-1960s."

Presumably it was especially easy at night, as C-FAX 810 was licensed only for operation from dawn to dusk.

Hazmat
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm

You're right, of course. CFAX was daytime-only on 810.

Luckily for them, in that era, 6:00 a.m. signon was allowed at full power even in the depths of Winter when sunrise was around 8:00 a.m.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hazmat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 am

... and by the by, "full power" for CFAX on 810 kHz was a blazing nominal 1 kW omni ... not likely
to pull down the grid noticeably in Oak Bay ...

Haz
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby hazmat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

oops, my earlier post didn't seem to work.

I was saying that no, I wasn't there personally (being farrr too young!), but I understand that
they had to wait to power up until local sunrise, as defined by D.o.C. Those attenuated
wintertime breakfast shows were a major factor in their taking the (expensive) plunge
to move to Trial Island and 1070 kHz.

But it sounds like it was pretty cool when KGO came booming in the moment they turned
down the transmitter at sundown. If you have to share spectrum with someone, arguably
you could do much worse. It sounds like it would be much like being a CBC affiliate ...
turn out the lights and let the network take over...

Haz
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Since I cannot recall if I ever listened to CFAX-810 before sunrise, I cannot say for sure for them, but I did hear one of Canada's few daytimers on the air before sunrise: the French station on 710 in Saskatoon, one winter Monday morning before KIRO signed on. Around 1968, doing their regular morning show.

I always assumed that Canada, during that era, followed the U.S. FCC rules for Daytimers: off the air by Sunset, but on the air as early as 4:30 a.m., even in the dead of winter. The FCC changed the rules around 1970, still allowing daytime-only stations to sign on before sunrise, but at reduced power (originally as low as 10 watts) if they applied to the FCC for Pre-Sunrise Authorization.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm pretty sure C-FAX was strictly a sunrise-sunset operation on 810 - I would have been listening from Kerrisdale at the time C-FAX was a daytimer & remember hearing KGO on winter school mornings before CFAX sign-on
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News