KOL's Dex Allen Passed Away on the Weekend

Radio news from the USA

KOL's Dex Allen Passed Away on the Weekend

Postby jon » Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 am

No details yet, but Radio Ink is reporting that Dex Allen passed away over the weekend.

KOL was my favourite station during Dex's years there, and Dex was favourite KOL DJ.

From what Dave has told me, the late Dave McCormick hired Dex and "Rhett Hamilton Walker the First" out of California right after Dave was named Program Director of KOL. It was part of his plan to take the station into the same Drake format that he had left at KYNO in Fresno, where he had worked with Bill Drake himself.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: KOL's Dex Allen Passed Away on the Weekend

Postby Mark » Mon May 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I spent many a night doing homework while listening to Dex Allen on KOL. His shift was 9 p.m. to midnight if my memory serves me.
Mark

Re: KOL's Dex Allen Passed Away on the Weekend

Postby jon » Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm

The Oct 30 1965 issue of Billboard lists Dex Allen as arriving at KOL from KQV Pittsburgh. The Dec 16 1967 issue says that Dex had just moved from KOL to KISN in Portland where he did 7-midnights.

I also see that Dex wrote a condolence on Dave McCormick's Vancouver Province obit Guest Book, which is no longer on-line.

In a Radio & Records interview, Dex said that his real name was Claude Turner.

Yes, at one time, Dex did 9-midnight on KOL. The station put his picture on a weekly record chart and listed his name as Herman The Weatherbird.

I was sure I remembered him doing Afternoons at one point on KOL, but I now suspect that that was on the weekend.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News