Pat O'Day to be part of KIRO Seafair Sunday

Radio news from the USA

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:13 pm

Once again this year, PAT O'DAY will be a part of KIRO-TV's Seafair Sunday Chevrolet Cup broadcast on August 6th. This will be the 71 year old O'Day's 40th year of involvement in Seafair Hydroplane Races.

Congratulations Pat and Thank you KIRO!

KIRO TV Seafair Info
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:00 pm

Kiro has made my summer.
No Pat = No Hydros.
The man is the BEST.
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:12 am

segueking2 wrote: Kiro has made my summer.
No Pat = No Hydros.
The man is the BEST.

When KYYX signed on, Pat did a bunch of all-night shifts, just for the hell of it, I guess. A KJR fan I know who loves Pat O'Day was listening (he airchecked part of at least one show) and it sounded as if Pat had had a few drinks, but still did some amazing stream-of-consciousness bits.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:58 pm

Pat O'Day.

If you have any KJR stories - it would be fun to 'remember'.

KJR was like a local station, in Victoria.
The local Victoria stations in the Sixties couldn't compete with the high energy, brilliant, edginess of Pat's money machine.
(*Hell, even KITN had a remote booth in the window of Kresges or WoolWorth, on Douglas.)

Pat has an ear for talent. He brought in Lan Roberts and the Jet City, and all of a sudden you had a genuine morning genius to wake them up.

Pat organized the KJR ALL AMERICANS Basketball team - and with some ringers, they were incredibly good - and also entertaining as hell - with Lan providing the 'play by play'. They came to Victoria to take on (*I believe) St. Louis College and were greeted like Royalty.

Lan - along with John Rode - John 'Records' Landecker - and Larry Lujack - as well as "The Real Don Steele", Johann Bruno Shane and 'Moose' Syracuse...were the BEST DEEJAYS of their generation.
No one could compete with Lan and KJR and the share was something like a 40.0 in Sixties. ;)

Thoughts?
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:51 pm

I think KJR teaches, above all, that different markets are different. There is no such thing as a West Coast standard Top 40 formula, as some have intimated in West Coast v.s. East Coast discussions over the years.

More specifically, how Drake ("Much More Music", "Boss Radio", etc.) flopped as an approach in Seattle. It had nothing to do with "no one could beat KJR", because even KJR failed (i.e. - Ratings went down) in its attempts at Drake.

Although I was never a real fan of KJR after about 1966, I would be the first to, then and now, admit what a great radio station they were. But, my listening habits don't matter, as I never lived in Seattle. The overwhelming majority of Seattle Top 40 listeners loved KJR.

It is easy to forget that Lan actually spent a lot of time at KOL, too. That is where he started in Seattle, in mid-1961, fresh from fabulous numbers on AM Drive in New Orleans. And that is where he returned in 1969. Yet, KJR continued to dominate, without Lan.

Before leaving the topic of Lan, I can speak for many people I know when I say: "I sure miss Lan".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:02 am

Don't forget... Tomorrow is race day ...starting at 10AM on KIRO TV.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News