Obama: Broadcast Re-regulation?

Radio news from the USA

Obama: Broadcast Re-regulation?

Postby jon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:00 am

"In a [September 2007] Broadcast Law Blog (broadcastlawblog.com), David Oxenford of the big Washington law firm Davis, Wright & Tremaine, LLP, notes that presidential candidate Barack Obama has called for shorter license renewal periods and has criticized broadcast consolidation." (reelradio.com Deregulation thread)

To those of us not in the U.S., we may need to be reminded that it is not like President Obama can walk into the White House this morning and make that change. He does not even assume power until sometime in January.

And, even then, like most other democracies, a bill has to make its way through one or more houses of government -- it is not just an immediate decree by the political leader of the country.

So, how long is his To Do List? And what number has he assigned it on his prioritized copy of that To Do List? Given how long it takes to draft Bills and get them passed, even with Democratic-dominated House and Senate, how long will it be before a Broadcast Bill sees the light of day?

I don't know. I may have missed it, but I didn't see a lot of discussion of Broadcasting during the election this past year.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:08 am

If changes are forthcoming in the U.S. I hope it includes putting an end to the uncontrolled growth of those low powered repeaters from groups like Air 1, Calvary Chapel, Love FM, etc. that pollute the airwaves with their propaganda in every village, town, and city in that country.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:32 pm

Speaking of Obama and Radio, is it just me or does anyone else think of "The Name Game" by Shirley Ellis everytime they say his name?

First time I heard that song was also the first time I heard WBZ Boston, then my farthest DX catch from Vancouver. It was nearly a month before I heard the song played in Vancouver.

WBZ was one great Top 40 station at that time, at least in the evenings when I could hear them. They were my favourite that winter, even better than WLS Chicago to my ear.

We lost something very, very special in North America with the end of the dominance of 50KW AM blowtorches on Clear Channels (1-3 major stations on a frequency at night).

You often hear about Winter being the only time to hear things. But I have a few DX tapes left from those years, and one in particular is from August, and the only real issue (1) staying up late enough so it is completely dark out; and (2) the noise (RF interference) from lightning storms anywhere in the North West.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News