CJAY92 Playlists - 79/80

Stuff that doesn't fit into any other area of the site ..

CJAY92 Playlists - 79/80

Postby Glenmore » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 pm

Hello All,

Newbie here and please excuse if this isn't the right area of the forum- or the right forum, period.

For years I've been trying to locate a song/artist that was briefly played on CJAY 92 FM in Calgary in 1979 or 1980, if I recall.

I've been through Billboard, RPM, and more lists than I can remember. I've learned that a station's playlist on the west coast is not necessarily the playlist being played on the east coast, and FM being the place to escape the top 40... if it was a local Canadian band, it's probably solidly buried in the haystack/needle category, and an actual playlist may be the most attention the act ever got.

I'm beginning to wonder if the song is anything like what I think I remember. The artist would have fit right in between Streetheart and Frank Marino. If anyone has access or could point me to CJAY92's playlists for that period, it would be much appreciated.
Glenmore

Re: CJAY92 Playlists - 79/80

Postby Aaron » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:14 pm

I would suggest posting anything you know about the song (Some lyrics, style, group, male solo, female solo, etc.) There are a lot of lurkers here with some pretty deep music knowledge, and probably some former CJAY staffers. Might be the faster answer.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Re: CJAY92 Playlists - 79/80

Postby Glenmore » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks for the reply.

What I remember- as vague as it's becoming- is a slow rocker, minor key (D?), male vocal, similar in range to Tom Petty. The fadeout is a long guitar solo, not flashy, with some spacey synth pads underneath. The only lyrics I recall are "I don't know why-y you go/ oh baby please don't go/it has to be that nothing stays the same"... words that haven't appeared in any other song, of course.

I realize asking for playlists from the late 70's is a long shot. I've tracked down a couple of other lesser-known hits, this one seems truly obscure. Any help appreciated.
Glenmore

Return to Radio Station Reunions and Miscellaneous Goings On