Globe & Mail 100% behind paywall?

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

Globe & Mail 100% behind paywall?

Postby tuned » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:11 am

Looks like as of today the Globe & Mail is 100% behind a paywall. They used to mark subscriber stories with a small key icon but that's disappeared. Clicking on any story lands you on a subscription link. They do have some worthwhile stories but their globalist, SJW editorial position prevents me from giving them any money.
All's well at the National Post. G&M bookmark deleted.
tuned
Advanced Member

Re: Globe & Mail 100% behind paywall?

Postby jon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm still seeing the Key icons on less than half the stories on their web site. When I click on an article without a Key icon, I see the article.

Most newspapers have a limit of 5-10 articles a month that you can view for free.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby DirkSteele » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 am

jon wrote:Most newspapers have a limit of 5-10 articles a month that you can view for free.

Some newspapers have moved away from a fully paywall model to a "premium content" model that requires subscription for the content the paper generates itself. If it is story from the wire, well covered local common stories (police blotter) and maybe some older stories that are dated, no lock. If you want to see current ground reporting from the paper itself, then you need to pay.

It's an interesting model. Pay for some content, usually the content that is generated by the house newsroom. How many locked stories will likely vary depending on how busy the newsroom is. Personally, I think this is a better model than pay for everything/few articles a month because not everything on the website is generated by the paper. This way, you are only really paying for the content the paper generates....not wasting paid article views on the aggregate scrapings of another news website.
DirkSteele
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:45 am

Globalist? SJW? For a second there, I thought I was on that other board.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media