Music Mags - 3 Reasons they Might be Dying

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

Re: Music Mags - 3 Reasons they Might be Dying

Postby glaherty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:23 pm

Rolling Stone is certainly in the process of reinventing themselves formatically and content wise, they are still ostensibly
a music magazine, but it has also always been a current affairs and political publication too, albeit predictably and unabashedly liberal.
(not that there's anything wrong with that). I think some of the points made in the article are valid, but is it that much different to
see the Jonas Brothers or Beyonce on the cover of J-14 than to see Robert Plant and Jimmy Page on the cover of Circus and Cream? (both
mags gone the way of the dinosaur I believe) Just a generational thing , and as it says, tied into the proliferation of new outlets that are pushing out
standard ones. By the way, ever try to get through an old issue of Downbeat? Unless you are the world's biggest jazz afficionado, or
an actual professional musician, it can't be done. It also seems to me that there really is no place for Billboard anymore, because no one
on this planet can really tell what is a "hit" anymore. (I am spending too much time on-line, see this is what I mean Jon). Do have a nice
day folks.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media