A view from across the Atlantic

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

A view from across the Atlantic

Postby jon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:48 pm

U.K. press slams Canada's hosting of Games
CBC News
Last Updated: Monday, February 15, 2010 | 5:15 PM ET

Some British media are slamming Canada as being a bad Olympic host, with much of the criticism focused on its role in the death of the 21-year-old Georgian luger.

A headline in the Daily Mail reads: "Canada's lust for glory is to blame for this senseless tragedy." It's a reference to the death of Nodar Kumaritashvili, who was killed in a crash during a training run at the Whistler Sliding Centre in B.C.

“Canada wanted to Own The Podium at the Vancouver Winter Olympic Games. This morning they can put their Maple Leaf stamp on something more instantly tangible: the nondescript little box carrying the lifeless body of Nodar Kumaritashvili back to his home in Bakuriani, Georgia,” wrote Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail.

“Made in Canada, it should say. Made by the perversion of the Olympic movement for national gain; made by a culture of worthless aggrandizement and pride.”

Samuel also accuses Canada of cheating, complaining that Canadian luge competitors practised more than 300 times on the luge course while other countries' athletes had a lot less access.

Lawrence Donegan, of the Guardian, picks up on the same theme and points fingers at Canada for limiting access to facilities.

“More immediate questions may be asked by the Canadians of themselves, who, in pursuit of their own Olympic dream … appear to have forgotten that national ­characteristic for which they are best known: politeness,” the article states.

“In the run-up to these Games, the hosts — or at least the Canadian Olympic Committee — seemed to have mislaid their manners. Money has been poured into training, while a hard-edged approach — albeit one within the rules of the Olympics — has been adopted in dealing with other teams, most noticeably in granting them only limited access to facilities such as the sliding track.”

In another article, Donegan also suggests the somewhat cold response by some Canadian lugers to the death of Kumaritashvili is "another blow against [Canada's] reputation as the kindest, gentlest member of the Olympic community."

In the British Times, sports writer Simon Barnes defends Canada from blame for the tragedy, but takes aim at the country’s Own the Podium slogan.

“Their highly unpleasant Own the Podium program, in which they seek to exploit home advantage to the last nanosecond has alienated the world they are supposed to play host to,” he wrote.

“Home athletes always have an advantage: getting ugly about it is neither necessary nor appropriate.”

One article in the Telegraph states that: "Canada has been trying so hard to please, it hurts."
jon
Advanced Member

Re: A view from across the Atlantic

Postby jawbone » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Once again, the British press trying to distract a nation from finding how much it sucks at winter games.
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 am

LoL !

Some of them Brits sure do git their knickers in a twist.

Or, at least in a pretend-twist, in order to sell tabloids.

Where's Eddie the Eagle when they need 'im !

~ Mrs. P.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 am

Vancouver's opening ceremony flawed, but perfect

February 14, 2010 ~ posted 015 GMT

Okay, they blew the money shot but, on reflection, the botched lighting of the Olympic flame actually added to Vancouver’s opening ceremony.

It was hard for organizers to get the tone right following the death of luger Nodar Kumaritashvili. No matter how tragic, it would have been wrong if the commemorations to him had featured too prominently.

The young Georgian died doing a dangerous sport, but one that he had trained for and knew the risks of. Very different, for example, to the terrorist attack on Togo’s football team at the recent Africa Cup of Nations.

There was a fitting tribute from Kumaritashvili’s team-mates, who wore black armbands and scarves to go with the grim expression on their faces. They were given a standing ovation in BC Place and there was even a smattering of applause where I was watching – a giant marquee, mostly filled with Canadians waiting to cheer their nation’s competitors.

The fans had heard about the accident and, despite being well lubricated with alcohol, a hush descended as they watched the minute’s silence at Friday's opening ceremony.

Kumaritashvili was also mentioned in the official speeches, but the rest of the evening was filled with the usual pre-Olympic theatrics.

Having to follow Beijing’s cinematic-style epic opening ceremony for the 2008 Summer Olympics was always going to be a tough challenge for Vancouver’s organizers, but in my opinion they rose to it.

I’ll admit I can be a bit sentimental at times, but when VANOC boss John Furlong said, "We invite people everywhere to share and experience, even if just for a few moments, what it feels like to be a proud Canadian," – I did.

And, as a Brit working for an American company, I have to confess it tickled me that the second biggest cheer of the night came when poet Shane Koyczan declared “Yes, we say zed not zee."

Then, as the patriotic fervour was at its height, one of the pillars supporting the Olympic cauldron failed to rise. How embarrassing. The final four torch-bearers had ear pieces and knew what was going on, but they still didn’t look comfortable.

But you know what? I think it was great. Unlike China a year and a half ago, Canada shouldn’t be trying to serve up another robotic, clinical Games. This is a diverse country, vast, beautiful and imperfect – and that’s cause for celebration.

Alex Thomas, CNN Sports Anchor, blog post

posted here by Mrs. P. for your reading enjoyment
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:51 am

and now a look at the other side of the medal standings

is it possible the brits sent more reporters than athletes?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 am

This morning, if you go to the Seattle Times homepage, you'll find, as I did, that the "most read" and "the most emailed" articles are categorized with the same headline:

"Woe, Canada! Olympic problems and missteps pile up"
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... oes17.html

Local interest in a "whole world is watching" event to be sure but also a serious case of schadenfreude building here I fear.

I was never in favor of the games coming to Vancouver (I lived there when the plebiscite was put forward and voted nay) but I am genuinely sad about this.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media