CHUM's Bob Laine is Dead

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

CHUM's Bob Laine is Dead

Postby jon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:47 pm

From this morning's News Wire:

TORONTO -- Broadcasting icon Bob Laine, who spent most of his career with CHUM Radio, has died in Toronto after what his family calls a courageous battle with illness.

He was 72.

Laine began his radio career at CHNS in Simcoe, Ontario but quickly moved to CHUM Toronto, signing on as the all-night D-J in May, 1958.

He stayed there, with the signature opening, "Good morning world, this is Bob-O. Good morning Bob-O, this is world,'' for a decade -- with one brief interruption.

"The Voice'' left CHUM in March, 1962 for a very short stint as CFGM's morning man but was back at the overnight show in May of that same year.

Laine moved to afternoons in 1968 and then into management in 1970 as program director of CHUM-FM.

He retired from the company in 2003 as a corporate vice-president after almost 46 years with the company.

Laine once said that during his time at CHUM, he did everything one can do in radio.

He was on the air, a station manager, a general manager and a radio station designer to name a few -- and said he had the best time for all those years.

During his time in management, Laine founded the CHUM radio network.

He moved on to a new project after he retired.

He and long-time producer Doug Thompson began culling CHUM's enormous archives, dating back to the station's beginning as a Top 40 station in 1957.

Laine is survived by his wife Sandi, daughters Cindy, Patti and Joey, and granddaughter Laynee.

Services are to be held tomorrow morning in Toronto.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CHUM's Bob Laine is Dead

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:49 pm

This is so sad and so very spooky for me as, after not having thought of Bob Laine for years, out of nowhere and for no reason at all, his memory came to mind just this morning.
I was remembering when he was GM at CFRW; he hired me there, supported and encouraged me and was just a great man to work for.
I'd love to be able to hear him one more time say: "This is Bobbo on Chummo".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road