Rocker found dead after eerie Twitter prediction

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:09 pm

By CARL STROUD, Bizarre Digital Editor
Published: Today at 11:47

The former bassist of rock band Weezer has died of a suspected overdose – after predicting the exact time and place of his death on Twitter.

Mikey Welsh, who was part of the group from 1998 to 2001 – was found unconscious in a Chicago hotel room on Saturday.

On September 26 he had penned an ominous message on his Twitter feed, saying: "dreamt i died in chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). need to write my will today".

Shortly after, he added: "correction: the weekend after next".

Welsh, 40, who was found unresponsive on the floor of his hotel room when he failed to check out, was in the city to see his former band play.

He performed on the quartet's 2001 album Weezer, which included singles Hash Pipe and Island In The Sun.

He left the band shortly afterwards after having suffered a nervous breakdown.

Since then he has become a well-regarded artist.

In a 2002 interview he said: "I really feel the need to reinvent myself and move on, and I couldn't be happier painting.

"Music is still an important part of my life, but I really have no desire to actually play it."

Another post, this time on Facebook, makes further reference to his death at a young age.
Describing an artwork he was selling, he wrote that it was on sale for $250: "If I am stil alive at time of purchase, price to increase exponentially if I expire prematurely."

A statement from the band, lead by Rivers Cuomo, read: "It saddens me and the guys in Weezer so much to say that our beautiful, creative, hilarious and sweet friend Mikey Welsh has passed away at the very young age of 40.

"A unique talent, a deeply loving friend and father, and a great artist is gone, but we will never forget him. His chapter in the weezer story ('98-'01) was vital, essential, wild, and amazing.

"Mikey was never one to shy away from the absurd, dangerous or strange, and he did so with a gusto few others had. No one had quite the stage presence of Mikey, nor have there been many who pulled the types of shenanigans he did at shows. If it rocked, he had to try it -- and he always found a way to pull it off.

"We will miss him terribly. Our deepest heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends. The world has lost a truly one of a kind guy."

Weezer were founded in 1992. They have released nine full-length albums and have sold more than nine million records in the United States.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... ction.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road