Sir Jimmy Savile (1926-2011) first DJ to use 2 turntables

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Sir Jimmy Savile (1926-2011) first DJ to use 2 turntables

Postby jon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Eccentric UK broadcaster Jimmy Savile dies at 84
DAVID STRINGER, Associated Press
Updated 04:44 p.m., Saturday, October 29, 2011

LONDON (AP) — Veteran British broadcaster Jimmy Savile, a famously eccentric culture figure, has died at his home in northern England. He was 84.

Savile, known for his garish tracksuits, chunky gold jewelry and boundless enthusiasm for pop music and charity work, was the host of two long-running British television programs and claimed to have been a longtime confidant to Prince Charles and ex-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

Rarely seen without his trademark large cigar, Savile had initially worked in a coal mine as a teenager before embracing music and built a national profile as a disc jockey — first in Britain's dance halls and later on radio, including the renowned Radio Luxembourg.

West Yorkshire Police confirmed that officers had been called Saturday to Savile's home in the city of Leeds, northern England, and said that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death. The cause of Savile's death is not yet known.

Savile claimed have been the first DJ in the world to use two turntables — enabling continuous music to be played — inventing the techniques later embraced by modern dance music, and to have pioneered the use of record, rather than live bands, at nightclubs.

"History has it that I was the very, very first in the whole world" to organize a disco event, he told the BBC in May.

Bestowed with a knighthood for his charity fundraising, Savile was best known as the host of the BBC's "Top Of The Pops" weekly television pop music show, launching the program in 1964 and returning to present its final edition in 2006.

For almost 20 years from 1975, Savile also hosted the hugely popular series "Jim'll Fix It," in which the broadcaster responded to children's letters by arranging for their wishes to be realized.

Savile championed a host of good causes — frequently running marathons to raise money — and led work to collect 20 million pounds ($32 million) for the creation of a national spinal injuries center at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in southern England.

"He was a very energetic character," friend and fellow radio presenter David Hamilton told Britain's Sky News television. "But most of all, I remember him as just a totally flamboyant, over the top, larger than life character and as he was on the air, he was just the same off."

Savile never married and lived alone in his native Leeds, in northern England, reserving part of his home as shrine to his late mother.

His guarded, and sometime curious, private life was the subject of a much watched television documentary in 2000 by film maker Louis Theroux, son of author Paul Theroux.

A nice picture gallery is here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/20 ... n-pictures
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Sir Jimmy Savile (1926-2011) first DJ to use 2 turntable

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:05 pm

jon wrote:The cause of Savile's death is not yet known.

There was a time when 84-year-olds died of old age.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Being from Leeds mesen (you figure that one out), I read with much sadness, the passing of Jimmy Savile.

He was already established on radio when I came to this country in 1952. As a 14 year-old, I listened to the radio daily, and got the urge then to get into the medium at a later date. Rest well Jimmy!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:26 pm

When I lived in the UK - I went nuts for Sir Jim.
He was so charming on TV and seemingly was in the paper everyday.
He GAVE - he liked to make people happy - AND - he was distinctly odd, er, eccentric - and will be much missed.

Radio Luxemburg was where I first heard of him.

I think "The British Invasion" - and always think of a wacky man named Sir Jimmy.

RIP
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road