'Soul Train' host Don Cornelius Dead

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

'Soul Train' host Don Cornelius Dead

Postby jon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 am

Los Angeles police say 'Soul Train' host Don Cornelius dies of self-inflicted gunshot wound
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES - Don Cornelius, creator of the long-running TV dance show ``Soul Train,'' shot himself to death Wednesday morning at his Los Angeles home, police said. He was 75.

Officers responding to a report of a shooting found Cornelius at his Mulholland Drive home at around 4 a.m., police said. He was pronounced dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at 4:56 a.m. at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said Los Angeles County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter.

``Soul Train'' began in 1970 in Chicago on WCIU-TV as a local program and aired nationally from 1971 to 2006.

It introduced television audiences to such legendary artists as Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye and Barry White and brought the best R&B, soul and later hip-hop acts to TV and had teenagers dance to them. It was one of the first shows to showcase African-Americans prominently, although the dance group was racially mixed. Cornelius was the first host and executive producer.

``There was not programming that targeted any particular ethnicity,'' he said in 2006, then added: ``I'm trying to use euphemisms here, trying to avoid saying there was no television for black folks, which they knew was for them.''

Cornelius, who was inducted into the Broadcasting and Cable Hall of Fame in 1995 and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, said in 2006 he remained grateful to the musicians who made ``Soul Train'' the destination for the best and latest in black music.

``I figured as long as the music stayed hot and important and good, that there would always be a reason for 'Soul Train,''' Cornelius said.

The series spawned a franchise that includes the Soul Train Music Awards, the Soul Train Lady of Soul Awards and the Soul Train Christmas Starfest.

Cornelius stepped down as ``Soul Train'' host in 1993.

In his later years, Cornelius had a troubled marriage. In 2009, he was sentenced to three years' probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanour spousal battery. In his divorce case that year, he also mentioned having significant health issues.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: 'Soul Train' host Don Cornelius Dead

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Well damn .... I used to really enjoy watching Soul Train.

It was the only way a young Canuck white boy could see black artists all in one place one after the other.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 am

That was also the show that confirmed (for me): I sure can't dance - might as well stay in the band.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I could've sworn you played several different roles in this video .... http://youtu.be/yyTifrKB-y0
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Way to have an eye, AWG! That was me in the short breeches and the bow tie. Don called me "Brother Man".
pave
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:28 pm

It was the shoes that gave you away, Pave, stylish, bruddah'.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm

:groovy: :walk: :lol:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Last weekend, the folks at "Soul Town" on Sirius did a Soul Train Special Tribute to Don Corneilius. Lots of interviews with artists that credited him with getting their "big break" after being on Soul Train.

I was interested to learn he started Soul Train with a total life savings and borrowed money totalling $400, was a jock on-air and talked TV station WCIU in Chicago to put his show on the air by going into the station and pitching his idea to the PD ... then when he had the time slot, went out and got advertisers ... and the rest as they say, is history. Notable is that Don was from a very, very poor family and as he was growing up decided he was going to be successful.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:43 pm

I admired Cornelius.
Those of that "age" - are realizing what a smart man he was - and HE WAS dealing with RACISM. Sad, but true.
But - my station in Toronto played all the R and B and I was as pumped about Aretha and O'Jays as I was on John Lennon.

AWG, hope the Holiday was fun.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:22 pm

I have yet to go.
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Whoops.

Uh, brain cramp.

:bag:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 pm

It's okay, hag. If you hadn't mentioned it, he (AWG) wouldn't have known the difference.
He's a nice feller, but it doesn't take much to slip one by 'im.) :orclown:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Dad ,...... Dad .... Pave's making fun of me again ... make him stop!

And Dad .... he's looking at me ... tell him to quit.

Hilarious guys .... but really, in today's politically correct world, has no one told you its no longer considered to be funny to mock the afflicted?

I mean its not like we're 17 any more Pave .... LOL.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Time. Weird. It seems to speed up.

I was just at the El Mocambo to see the Stones, what,er, 40 years ago....gad.

AWG taught me how to really run a board. I used to sit and watch, awestruck.

He babied me through my first shift on CKVN.

So many fond memories.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road