Larry Hagman of 'Dallas' fame dead at 81

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Larry Hagman of 'Dallas' fame dead at 81

Postby radiofan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Actor Larry Hagman of 'Dallas' fame dead at 81
The Virginian-Pilot
© November 23, 2012

Larry Hagman, the North Texas native who played the conniving and mischievous J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas," died Friday at a Dallas hospital, according to the Dallas Morning News. He was 81.

Hagman died at 4:20 p.m. Friday at Medical City Dallas Hospital from complications of his recent battle with cancer, members of his family told the newspaper.

“Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved most,” the family said in a statement to the Dallas Morning News. “Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests privacy at this time.”

Hagman was also known for his work on the television show, "I Dream of Jeannie."

He also returned to television and his role as J.R. Ewing in the reboot of "Dallas" on TNT.

Linda Gray's agent, Jeffrey Lane, said the actress was at Hagman's bedside when he died, according to The Sun in London. He said another co-star, Patrick Duffy, was also present. “They had been friends for 35 years and they had worked together for many years, so obviously it is devastating," Lane told The Sun.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/reports ... me-dead-81
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Larry Hagman of 'Dallas' fame dead at 81

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 am

Hagman was the son of the late Mary Martin of "Peter Pan" fame, who died in November of 1990 at the age of 77... also from cancer.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:49 pm

When you think about it - "Dallas" was one of the last "big must see" TV shows of the modern era.

Now people are delighted with a 2.4 share on the Neilsons - while JR and team were scoring overnights in the double digits.

"Mash" Would be one of the other last big timers.

I don't think we can equate the above success on the same level with "reality TV"....which has become so silly we have people chasing snakes in prime time.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Big Voice » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 pm

hagopian wrote:When you think about it - "Dallas" was one of the last "big must see" TV shows of the modern era.

Now people are delighted with a 2.4 share on the Neilsons - while JR and team were scoring overnights in the double digits.

"Mash" Would be one of the other last big timers.

I don't think we can equate the above success on the same level with "reality TV"....which has become so silly we have people chasing snakes in prime time.

Hagopian,
Dallas was not alone in the "big must see" TV shows of the modern era. I remember people saying they had to rush home to see the latest episode of Cheers, that lasted 11 years, Friends that lasted 10 years, and as you mentioned Mash that was on 11 years. Then the re-run years. How about Seinfeld? It could have gone on for 100 years, but decided to call it a day after 9 years. Dallas was good for its time, but does it stand up in re-runs like Friends or Seinfeld? I don't think so.
And people chasing snakes? Does this indicated that you are watching reality shows that have people chasing snakes? Explain!
Big Voice
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Think you have valid points but 350 million people watched JR get shot.

MASH might be close, when it comes to that kind of nosebleed numbers. Cheers? Seinfeld? Great shows - but.....

'Chasing snakes' was my lame way of bashing the all too common reality shows that clutter the dial.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm

What is, or is not, a hit on TV is very subjective.

Personally, I thought "Saved By The Bell" had some of the best writing ever.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road