Farley Mowat dead at 92

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Farley Mowat dead at 92

Postby radiofan » Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 am

Acclaimed Canadian author Farley Mowat dead at 92

By Dianne Rinehart

Acclaimed Canadian author Farley Mowat, 92, has died. His brother John confirmed the death in a phone call to Mowat's home in Port Hope, Ont., and requested privacy for the family.

The author, whose books on nature, such as Never Cry Wolf, delighted Canadians for decades, was still active in campaigns to protect his beloved country, recently quoted on CBC's The Current complaining about a plan to increase Wi-Fi service in Canada's national parks.

"My thoughts can be expressed quite simply. I think it is a disastrous, quite stupid, idiotic concept, and should be eliminated immediately," he said.

Read the full story: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/45052 ... owat-dies/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Farley Mowat dead at 92

Postby jon » Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 pm

"The Dog Who Wouldn't Be" was truly captivating listening/reading to this 10 year old.

In later years, Mowat admitted that the book should be moved from the Non-Fiction to Fiction shelves of all Canadian Public Libraries. Either way, he was still a compelling story teller.

The radio connection to all this was that he made that admission in conversation with Barbara Frum on CBC's As It Happens.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Farley Mowat dead at 92

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

I was lucky enough to interview this genius and he was a really nice man. I was in awe, but we hit if off big time, because his wife is from the small Nova Scotia town, that I used to live in.

He gave me 25 minutes of delight for “Vancouver at Noon”, on KISS-FM. I feel I was Blessed to have met this towering figure, in Canadian Literature.

RIP, Mr. Mowat.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road