Morley Safer dead at 84

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Morley Safer dead at 84

Postby radiofan » Thu May 19, 2016 9:24 am

Just a week after retiring from CBS, Toronto born journalist Morley Safer has passed away at age 84.

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/morle ... ies-at-84/
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Morley Safer dead at 84

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

I am glad that Mr. Safer was around to see what CBS did for him, on this Sunday's special.

He was on Prime Time TV for longer than anyone in History!

RIP, to a giant talent and a great Canadian.

He never gave up his Citizenship - he was a dual citizen, of the USA.

There are too many people leaving.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Some feel Morley safer's career watershed moment occurred while in-country covering the Viet Nam war.
A 1965 broadcast was notable when he followed a group of Marines to the village of Cam Ne, for what was described as a "search and destroy" mission. When the Marines arrived, they told the inhabitants to evacuate the village, then burned down their huts with flame-throwers. His report was among the earliest to paint a bleak picture of the Vietnam War.
President Lyndon Johnson reacted to this report angrily, calling CBS's president and accusing Safer and his colleagues of having undermined America's role there. Johnson accused Safer of being "a communist", to which the head of CBS replied: "He's not a communist. He's just a Canadian".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:"He's not a communist. He's just a Canadian".

Unfortunately, at that time, to many Americans, Canada's then recently introduced Government Funded Medical and Welfare made our country look like it was being taken over by Communists.

As recently as the "Obama Care" debate, there were many voices in the U.S. voicing outrage at the concept of anyone getting medical care without having earned the money to pay for it. Sometimes it was more subdued, as in "why should I (my tax money) pay for someone else's broken leg?"

But I digress. Sad to see Morley pass away, but I know a lot of career-oriented folks who would like nothing better than to work so late into life and "die with their boots on" as he (almost, by a couple of weeks) did.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Fri May 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote: "He's not a communist. He's just a Canadian".

The Prime Minister of that time, Pierre Trudeau, also likely contributed to the perception of Canadians being communists.

Trudeau toured mainland China earlier in his life and that raised eyebrows among the elite in Washington. Many thought that he was a communist.

The American government also hated Trudeau for his sympathy towards American draft dodgers being able to reside in Canada l

Contrast that to the Harper Government expelling dozens of American soldiers here in Canada to avoid the war in Iraq.

Regarding Morley Safer, one of the all time greats in journalism, he never forgot his Canadian roots and to me, that makes him a class act.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri May 20, 2016 5:31 pm

the-real-deal wrote:The Prime Minister of that time, Pierre Trudeau, also likely contributed to the perception of Canadians being communists.

If ( in his youth) he wasn't a complete communist he certainly flirted with the idea.
Trudeau was interested in Marxist ideas in the 1940s and his Harvard dissertation was on the topic of Communism and Christianity
The only reason he entered politics as a Liberal was he felt that the CCF (predecessor to the NDP) had no chance of ever being elected to power.
He got what he wanted done the way all true politicians do; by compromise of ideals and principles.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat May 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:
If ( in his youth) he wasn't a complete communist he certainly flirted with the idea.
Trudeau was interested in Marxist ideas in the 1940s and his Harvard dissertation was on the topic of Communism and Christianity
The only reason he entered politics as a Liberal was he felt that the CCF (predecessor to the NDP) had no chance of ever being elected to power.
He got what he wanted done the way all true politicians do; by compromise of ideals and principles.

So, I wonder, why did British Columbians hate Trudeau senior so much. Is it because Trudeau was "French" or because he was perceived as a "communist" ? That hate on for one single politician is extraordinary. I could never understand that hate on, to be honest, but then, I have a difficult time understanding you British Columbians, generally. Why are you such elitist, arrogant people.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Sat May 21, 2016 5:13 pm

the-real-deal wrote:

So, I wonder, why did British Columbians hate Trudeau senior so much. Is it because Trudeau was "French" or because he was perceived as a "communist" ? That hate on for one single politician is extraordinary. I could never understand that hate on, to be honest, but then, I have a difficult time understanding you British Columbians, generally. Why are you such elitist, arrogant people.

Aren't you a British Columbian mr deal? And somewhat arrogant to boot?

Ever thought of packing up your little Meccano set radio station and maybe moving on eastwards to Dauphin? Maybe a place like The Pas would welcome someone with such an impressive resume!
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat May 21, 2016 8:58 pm

the-real-deal wrote:So, I wonder, why did British Columbians hate Trudeau senior so much.

I doubt there were enough opinion polls taken back then to prove my point, but during his years as Prime Minister, 1968-84, I would have to believe that each Province had periods where the majority of the Voting Public in that Province hated Mr. Trudeau. His Liberal federal government did a lot of "governing" during those 15 years (he was out of office for less than a year in 1979-80) and it was inevitable that there wasn't at least one thing each that hurt a given Province.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun May 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Rocky wrote:
the-real-deal wrote:

Aren't you a British Columbian mr deal? And somewhat arrogant to boot?

Ever thought of packing up your little Meccano set radio station and maybe moving on eastwards to Dauphin? Maybe a place like The Pas would welcome someone with such an impressive resume!

You are a racoon. What do you know about meccano sets or radio stations. Better do what racoons do best, such as picking through garbage, scavanging for food and or being a pain in the *ss.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun May 22, 2016 10:25 pm

jon wrote:*
I doubt there were enough opinion polls taken back then to prove my point, but during his years as Prime Minister, 1968-84, I would have to believe that each Province had periods where the majority of the Voting Public in that Province hated Mr. Trudeau. His Liberal federal government did a lot of "governing" during those 15 years (he was out of office for less than a year in 1979-80) and it was inevitable that there wasn't at least one thing each that hurt a given Province.

Trudeau's only "governance" issue that (I see) as being perceived as a threat to the provinces was his now infamous declaration of the War Measures Act in Quebec, back in 1970.

What specifically did Trudeau do (other than the infamous middle finger salute) at the B.C. rural train stop, to annoy British Columbians.

Was it the creation of the National Energy Program, the implimentation of forced bilingualism in federal government departments, or his forced multiculturalism.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road