Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Postby radiofan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:40 am

Rock poet who wrote Canadiana-laced lyrics had a commanding stage presence
By John Mazerolle, CBC News Posted: Oct 18, 2017 8:39 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 18, 2017 9:31 AM ET

Gord Downie, the Tragically Hip frontman who united a diverse array of music lovers with his commanding stage presence and Canadiana-laced lyrics, has died.

He was 53.

Downie had an aggressive and incurable form of brain cancer called glioblastoma, which he discovered after a seizure in December 2015.

He died Tuesday night surrounded by his children and family, according to a statement on the band's website.

"Gord knew this day was coming – his response was to spend this precious time as he always had – making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips," the statement said.

Canadians learned of Downie's illness on May 24 last year — the same day the rest of the rock group, Paul Langlois, Rob Baker, Gord Sinclair and Johnny Fay, announced that the Kingston, Ont.-based band would head out on a final summer tour "for Gord, and for all of us."

The final concert, in Kingston on Aug. 20, was broadcast by CBC.

Read the full story, pics and videos: http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/go ... -1.4359906
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

Postby Russ_Byth » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 am

We knew this was coming, but it still hurts. Thank you Gord.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Back in the mid-90s, I wrote a Georgia Straight feature on the pros and cons of continuing CanCon airplay rules for radio. As I recall, I sidebarred about the plethora of Canucks who were breaking big in the States. Long story short: Bruce Allen invited me on his one-hour Sunday night CFOX show. More than a few minutes were spent arguing about the Tragically Hip. To Bruce, acts like the Tragically Hip were suspect if they didn't chart high on Billboard and Cashbox. My response was that Gord and the boys had an undeniable connection--especially because of their passionate live shows--with Canadians. Their problem breaking into America, I theorized, had more to do with an abundance of lyrics wholly inscrutable to Yank listeners. I also thought Gord's vocals on those early albums should've been mixed just a tad higher above the band tracks. Hundreds of thousands of album sales later, it's clear I was just talking out of my hat.

Gord may full use of the final 18 or so months after receiving his terminal diagnosis. I hope he had plenty of quality time, in between musical projects, to have meaningful talks with his children, other loved ones and musical confreres. Some might criticize the saturation media coverage of his passing, especially on CBC, but I think after the interminable crises of Trumpian politics, it was great to be able to celebrate a positive person who made a difference.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road