Robert O. Smith ~ R.I.P.

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Robert O. Smith ~ R.I.P.

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm more sorry than I can say to have to post this.

Robert O. Smith has passed.

Just heard from his daughter, and can't write anything coherent for you now through the tears ... I don't even know how long it has been that he's been in our lives. We've loved him, for I don't know how long. Radio Fan can fill you in on the details. I'm sorry to have to tell you this way, RF, I left a phone message. Mr. P. doesn't even know yet, he isn't home.

Life is short, folks. Express your love, and friendship, and gratitude for love and friendship, when you can.

God Bless Robert O., a voice ... and a presence and a personality ... that will long live on.

And God Bless all of you.

With love and sadness ~

Mrs. P.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Re: Robert O. Smith ~ R.I.P.

Postby tuned » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm really sorry....I know how much Robert O meant to both of you. I'm sure he's in a better place.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 pm

From Gord Lansdell's Vancouver Broadcasters

He meant so much more to many people on this board.

Robert O. Smith - KAHI Auburn CA; KHOE Tahoe NV; KOWL South Lake Tahoe NV; KLAV Las Vegas NV; KMBY Monterey CA 1966; KJR Seattle 1967; KSND Seattle; KOL Seattle 1968-71; KTAC Tacoma 1972; KVI Seattle 1977; KIXI-FM Seattle; CFMI-FM Vancouver early 1980s; CISL Vancouver; CKMA Abbotsford; voiceovers; animation; world record power lifter.

Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Damn. Gone far too early from this earth.Condolences to his family, and RIP Mr.Smith.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Wow...
I worked with Robert for the past eight months doing some voicing for a client of mine...
This seems to be a real shock as i just talked with him 3... maybe 4 weeks ago?

best to his family.
Kevin Gemmell
Station Manager/General Sales Manager
CHWK FM - Chilliwack, BC
A division of FABMAR Communications Ltd.
Kevin

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Robert O. was ill, and in pain, for a fairly short time, Kevin, but even when he knew it was the end of the road, he didn't want anyone he worked with to be affected.

He told Mr. P. that he'd do whatever needed to get to his sessions, then get in the car, and yell all the way home, not just about having pain, but also with such frustration that his incredibly strong body, which had won him power lifting championships for decades, was letting him down.

He never wanted to let anyone else down, though, and even in hospital after surgery, said that he didn't want to miss a session. He loved the business he'd been in for most of his life, and was a professional, and a perfectionist, until the end.

His son said it feels like he's still here. All who knew Robert O. Smith, with his superb voice and larger than life personality, and great artistic and comedic talents and gifts, will always feel like he is still here.

Best Regards ~
Mrs. P.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:20 pm

For those who might not know, here is the link to Robert O's blog ... with some past pics and past writings ... on his many athletic accomplishments and more ...

http://www.benchbozo.blogspot.com/

Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:36 pm

My condolences to the Smith family and friends.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Worked a little while together, fine gentleman, gone too soon is Robert O. lp
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 pm

radiofan helped with his website

http://www.robertosmith.com/powersiteoct.html

Sorry to hear he is gone.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Robert O. Smith has been my favourite DJ of all time since I first heard him on KOL Seattle. I wrote him, got a written letter in response, and a couple of mentions on the air, earlier in 1968, and visited him at the station that summer. But it was only in the last 15 years that we became fairly close friends.

I'm too much in shock to say much more at this point.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 pm

I would run into Robert O from time to time at work in NewWest or at various studios around town or even at the IGA on Broadway. Each time it was the same " Hey Bob what's up ? " He would then go into a character voice and I would respond. Then it was dialects and I would respond. Then it was impressions ( now he's got me ) I throw out my meager few ,but now he's rolling, one after another ending usually with his Gary Owens. That's what I wanted to hear in the first place. I guess I could have said " Hi Bob, do Gary Owens " But I think he liked the dance, I know I did. I'll miss him.
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Real sad news. I remember making several Greyhound trips to Seattle in the late 60's with Radiofan when we visited Robert O. at KOL (on the mudflats of beautiful Harbor Island). All around great guy!

Here's a little tribute to KOL from that era that I found on the late Lan Roberts tribute site:
http://www.lanroberts.com/lanbo/kol2.htm
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 pm

I am in total shock. Many of us knew what Robo was going through, and he seemed pretty much upbeat and believed he'd get back into his powerlifting before too long and of course be the voice of London Drugs for another 23 or so years.

The first time I met him was Easter of 1969 when he was working at KSND 1590 in Seattle. Shortly after that he moved to KOL where Pluto, Dan Sys and myself would go out and visit him anytime we went down to Seattle for the day to buy records and visit radio stations. Our visits continued through his stsints at KTAC, KVI and KIXI. In
1983 we helped persuade him to make the move across the border and take on mornings at CFMI.

Other than radio and his cartooning, his great love was powerlifting. In that sport he has won tons of trophies and set numerous records. For the past 10 years, I have looked after his website http://www.robertosmith.com .

Between us we could fill pages with Robert O stories and memories.

Thanks for being a friend Robo .. you'll be missed.

Condolences to his daughter Justine, his son Zach and his longtime friend Carrie.

Here's what first made us aware of Robert O just as he arrived at KJR in 1967 ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC73jtokqP8
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:12 pm

ReelRadio is planning to debut some Robert O. airchecks tomorrow morning, so I was looking around for details on exactly when Robert O. passed. And I found this:
http://www.prlog.org/10712985-robert-sm ... -away.html
"Sunday May 30th at 9:20 am"

Thanks to Gord Lansdell's NW Broadcasters site for the link.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I ever knew Robert O.'s birth date. He always talked about his Canadian immigration papers having the wrong date.
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The End Of The Road