Former NHL coach Pat Burns almost loses battle with cancer

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Former NHL coach Pat Burns almost loses battle with cancer

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:56 am

Pat Burns, who went from tough-as-nails police officer to one of the best defensive coaches in NHL history,
died Friday after a long battle with cancer, according to TSN and CTV Ottawa.
He was 58.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewes ... z0znq4tzFp

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewes ... story.html
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Re: Former NHL coach Pat Burns loses battle with cancer

Postby hagopian » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:29 am

This story has been pulled. Mr. Burns son maintains that the Coach, while gravely Ill, is still at home in Magog PQ.
This guy's brave, with a CAPITAL B.
How come this gent isn't in the HHOF?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Re: Former NHL coach Pat Burns loses battle with cancer

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 am

hagopian wrote:This story has been pulled. Mr. Burns son maintains that the Coach, while gravely Ill, is still at home in Magog PQ.
This guy's brave, with a CAPITAL B.
How come this gent isn't in the HHOF?

I'll be damned!!...He is as tough as nails!!
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Re: Former NHL coach Pat Burns almost loses battle with canc

Postby radiofan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:18 am

Sandclan will update the header when the time is right. It turns out Burns only had a 5 minute high sticking penalty and not a game misconduct this morning.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:36 am

Joe Leary managed to kill Burns this morning during his 9:00am update. As he read it straight from the wire copy...unedited. All 12 lines of the story.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 am

Here's Burns calling and telling TSN he's still not dead!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=334088
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:24 pm

The media outlets who initally spread the death story are now weaselling out by using words like "rumours", "viral", and "reports." Not one has apologized -- the only apology has come from Cliff Fletcher, who told reporters Burns was dead after hearing it from a friend (who likely saw it on Twitter, and 'round we go.) This seemed to start with the Twitter account of CTV (CJOH) Ottawa, which has since updated to make reference to "erroneous information" this morning, but no apology... the station's website is only running the CP story now. And what about the Team in Vancouver -- any apology from them after their "scoop" from Ray Ferraro this morning? Their website does not acknowledge the station's apparent role in propogating the incorrect story.

It's not just that a story was wrong. It's that it may have caused serious distress to a family at a difficult time.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:37 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Joe Leary managed to kill Burns this morning during his 9:00am update. As he read it straight from the wire copy...unedited. All 12 lines of the story.

So? What should he have done? He wasn't the only one, why single Joe out?

You have two supposedly reputable sources with the news, is he supposed to ignore it, knowing Burns is gravely ill?

I remember Jack Cullen used to 'bury' people on a regular basis.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Joe Leary » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi folks.
Believe it or not, in reading the slings and arrows of my many detractors on these threads over the years, as fascinated as I may have been with the dialogue about me both good and bad, I've never really cared much to offer comment. That is until now, and specifically, with regard to me being on air to prematurely 'kill' Pat Burns on Friday morning.
What can I say?
Try as we may, we are certainly not infallible, and sometimes we just plain old get it wrong.
In this particular case, when it came to light that the information we had received - and aired - was erroneous, the situation was immediately rectified; we offered a most humble and heartfelt apology on air, and moved on.
That's what you do in such a case, but I can assure you that we felt absolutely horrible for making such a grave and seemingly insensitive mistake.
We're not perfect, and in live radio - shit happens!
Howabouththat - thanks for getting it, and understanding.
GrumpOld Man - GFY!
Joe Leary

Postby mightymouth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:05 am

Hey Joe...you go with what you know! No problem, it comes across the wire that the guy is dead, you go with it! There have been a lot of...."my death has been highly exaggerated" stories over the years, going back to Mark Twain.
F-ck-M, and keep up the good work.
:mousewalk
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 am

mightymouth wrote:Hey Joe...you go with what you know! No problem, it comes across the wire that the guy is dead, you go with it! There have been a lot of...."my death has been highly exaggerated" stories over the years, going back to Mark Twain.
F-ck-M, and keep up the good work.
:mousewalk

Agreed!....I got caught on it too...We will just have to wait him out then!
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 am

Joe Leary wrote: I've never really cared much to offer comment.
GrumpOld Man - GFY!

Joe you may have had your reasons for not commenting until now - I respect that - however if you read Grumpy's comment again I find nothing to get upset about - he told it like he heard it. If he was factually wrong you could state that.

Radio boards give the opportunity for members to comment, editorialize and even rant on occasion. I hope you stay and contribute to the board's status as the premier westcoast radio board.

Now...back to our regular programming
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:41 am

Jack Bennest wrote:
Joe Leary wrote: I've never really cared much to offer comment.
GrumpOld Man - GFY!

Joe you may have had your reasons for not commenting until now - I respect that - however if you read Grumpy's comment again I find nothing to get upset about - he told it like he heard it. If he was factually wrong you could state that.

Radio boards give the opportunity for members to comment, editorialize and even rant on occasion. I hope you stay and contribute to the board's status as the premier westcoast radio board.

Now...back to our regular programming

Howaboutthis Jack... nowhere did GOM say that the TEAM corrected itself and apologized, leaving one to think that they, like many others, just let it sit there. He was factually right, but only as much as he wanted to be. If he didn't hear the apology, GOM should come on here and state that he didn't hear it.
Your attempts at playing peacemaker and facillitator are a little silly.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:12 pm

The whole thing is truly sad, and unfortunate all around. Burns is a quality guy, gruff, but a straight shooter,and fine hockey man over the years. He is clearly on his last legs. His passing is a matter of days, and
somebody, (apparently Damien Cox), jumped the gun. Given that Pat is very ill, if I was on the desk and saw a wire story saying he'd passed, I'd use it. Is Joe supposed to confirm each obit? I'm sure Ray
didn't feel very good about it either. Bobby Mac seemed uncomfortable having to relay the message from Burns. Nobody wants to be ghoulish about this, but clearly Pat at the all too early age of 58, is going to
lose his battle, very likely this month. The whole thing is a tough one to handle. One thing I know is, these are the "scoops" you don't want. I knew almost immediately when former NHL ref Lloyd Gilmour passed
away in Nanaimo, he lived in my mother in law's building, and they regularly played golf together. Thing is, I didn't relay the information, because again I just feel those are the kind of stories there's not much gain
in "breaking". lee p.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:24 pm

You know, to their credit, I don't believe Canadian Press DID move the story of his death, but did report on the false reports some time later. But when I see something like that reported by both TSN and Sun Media (sorry, QMI Agency -- who in blazes came up with THAT name???) both supposedly citing their own sources, I tend to believe it. I've learned a lesson here.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The End Of The Road