'King of Rock and Soul', Solomon Burke dies

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

'King of Rock and Soul', Solomon Burke dies

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 am

Solomon Burke dies at Amsterdam airport at 70
By TOBY STERLING and NEKESA MUMBI MOODY (AP) – 49 minutes ago

AMSTERDAM — Solomon Burke, the larger-than-life "King of Rock and Soul" who was revered as one of music's greatest vocalists but never reached the level of fame of those he influenced, died early Sunday at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport. He was 70.

Born to the sound of music in an upstairs room of a Philadelphia church, Burke was acknowledged as one of the greatest soul singers of the 1960s, but his popularity never matched that of contemporaries like James Brown or Marvin Gaye.

Two of Burke's best-known songs reached a wider audience when they were featured in hit movies.

He wrote "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" in 1964 and it was later featured in the Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi movie "The Blues Brothers." The Rolling Stones and Wilson Pickett also recorded it.

A bare-chested Patrick Swayze danced seductively with Jennifer Grey to Burke's "Cry To Me" in one of the most memorable scenes from the movie "Dirty Dancing."

Legendary Atlantic Records producer Jerry Wexler once called Burke, "the best soul singer of all time."

(Full article below)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... =D9IOUBE00
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Re: 'King of Rock and Soul', Solomon Burke dies

Postby hagopian » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:28 pm

I stopped and reflected on Solomon Burke's " Everybody's Got Somebody To Love"....done by Wilson Pickett - and I have to say that the DRUM break on that sucker, is still one of the most magnetic couple of seconds in R&B.

Just a great track, IMHOP.

Time is passing.

Shout out to Joe Easingwood - congratulations on a brilliant career - an enjoy your time off - and THANKS for being an inspiration to guys like me.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road