Neal Foisy Passes Away

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Neal Foisy Passes Away

Postby jon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 am

Parents should never have to bury their children, but well known broadcaster Maurice Foisy will be doing just that for his broadcaster son, Neal. Neal was found dead in his apartment, of natural causes, yesterday morning. He was 51.

Neal started out working for Dad as an Operator at CHQM, but found his niche in Creative, writing many of the ads you heard on air in Victoria and Vancouver over the last 15 years.

I never knew Neal other than as boyabouttown here on RadioWest, where he would sometimes sign his posts with his real name. But I knew Maurice fairly well, as my boss's boss at CHQM, as a frequent voice on CHQM from when they first signed on in 1959 until they were sold to CHUM in 1991, and finally through a former co-worker at CBC Halifax who I met in the 1990s when the co-worker was a senior manager with the Alberta Government.

No word yet on funeral arrangements.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Neal Foisy Passes Away

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 am

In between a couple of on-air gigs in the early 80's, I op-ed with Neal at 'NW.

My heartfelt condolences to his family.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 am

I worked with Neal for a while in the Valley after his escape from Kelowna. Stayed in touch during his CHRX days, and well after. Last chat I had with him was via e-mail last year.

This was a shock. I truly enjoyed his company, spent a few evenings at his place in Kits...enjoying his guitar playing, discussing the Beatles, Jethro Tull, and the virtues of 8-track tapes.

Dammit.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 pm

I also had the pleasure of working with Neal during his Valley days. He was an incredible talent during the early years at the "original" STAR-FM, especially when it came to finding his way around a production room! So shocking that he's left us at such a young age.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:40 am

This post caught me by surprise. I had talked to Neal about photos of Maurice and he sent a number over to me and got
me in contact with his father. That must have been a couple of years ago. This info below found on the internet.

With thanks to "play in victoria" blog = http://www.playinvictoria.net/

My old friend Neal foisy passed away suddenly. You may know him. You may have come into contact with him through the world of local media and advertising. If you have ever had a commerical on the air in this market and even Vancouver, there's a good chance it was written by Neal Foisy. I am very sad tonight to announce that Neal has passed away.

"You were a brilliant mind. A great writer, broadcaster, producer and musician. You understood what was good and what was crap. I don't know how many times I heard that each time I added a new record to the play list. I will never forget our Friday afternoons out with the gang at Barts and the Cherry Bank. Those were good times. You were always first with an opionion, although I didn't always agree with you, you put up a convincing argument. You were however, supportive during trying times and always saw the light at the end of the tunnel. You always had an alternative outlook on an otherwise bleak situation. You were quiet, yet wrote words with a pen that reached, I am sure millions. You touched people in so many ways it is almost incomprehensible. The adverstiing community within Victoria and beyond, and broadcasting as a whole, has lost a writer and friend who crafted everyday words into poetic messages that resulted in brilliant marketing campaigns for so many.

Neal, I am a better person for having known you. Thank you for your words of encouragement, support and for being.......well...just you! Lay your head and rest my friend. You will be missed." - Brad Edwards
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road