Mark Dailey passes at 57

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Mark Dailey passes at 57

Postby Buckley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Mark Dailey, known as the voice of "City TV" (everywhere...) in Ontario and a newscaster who worked for CKLW back when they were doing the blood and guts version of 20/20 news, lost his battle with cancer today. He was 57. One of my favourites, his reads for the late night movies on CITY were always hilarious (see the video in the link below) and his voice reached a low that most men only wish they could.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/902379--veteran-news-broadcaster-mark-dailey-dies?bn=1
Buckley
Advanced Member

Re: Mark Dailey passes at 57

Postby jon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:11 pm

From Ed Mason:

I worked with Mark Daily at CHUM in 1974 into early 1975. We shared a shift and had some very good talks. I was impressed by his decency and kindness and his sense of humour. He came back to work after a couple of days off to say he'd been to Detroit to visit Florence Ballard, one of the early Supremes. I thought "yeah, right" until he explained after Flo got squeezed out she was very down on her luck in Motor City. I'm not sure how their connection began but he'd visit her, buy her dinner and try to cheer her up. Florence Ballard died in Detroit in 1976. Thanks Mark - "Love was here...and now you've gone"

jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Several comments based on what I've read about Mark recently.

Comments about his late night movie intro humour (see above) are bought to light by someone who visited him at City-TV. The visitor snuck a look at Mark's scripts and discovered that Mark ad-libbed every bit of the humour. Amazing.

Mark also likely holds the record for youngest CHUM Newsman ever. Even more intriguing is that he came from CKLW to CHUM, so likely gave Pat St. John a run for his money as youngest announcer ever there.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:09 pm

I am so saddened to hear this. Yet another great one has been lost to us way to early.Mark had an amazing set of pipes and was CITY TV. He was a major market broadcaster who's talent will be missed.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Not a happy day. Clancy Loranger, and now this.

One of my heroes, and now he's gone.

He WAS CITY-TV, along with Martineau.

My condolences to his Wife, and Family and his OTHER Family, at CITY-TV.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road