Blake Edwards dies at 88

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Blake Edwards dies at 88

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Famed filmmaker Blake Edwards has died at 88. Edwards was best known for the broad but smart slapstick of movies such as those in "The Pink Panther" series. Yet he also was able to shift into a more serious gear, as he did the 1961 dramedy "Breakfast at Tiffany's," which was nominated for five Oscars. His relevance continued well into the 1980s with biting (and often taboo-busting) comedies such as "Victor/Victoria" and "Skin Deep."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... tuary.html
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Blake Edwards dies at 88

Postby jon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:34 pm

His brief successful foray into '50s television with Henry Mancini writing his theme music is also very much worthy of mention.

Although I wasn't old enough to stay up that late, I was certainly aware of "Peter Gunn" and "Mr. Lucky". Unfortunately, though some nice DVD collections of both series were released, both are long out of print, and extremely expensive on the used market. I've seen some of the Peter Gunn series and thoroughly enjoyed it, but only have the "Mr. Lucky" movie to go by, which was fabulous, starring Cary Grant and Laraine Day. Also amazing, as it was released in 1943, in the middle of World War II, and portrays Mr. Lucky as a draft dodger.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road