Don Van Vliet, aka 'Captain Beefheart', dies aged 69

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:05 pm

American musician and painter Don Van Vliet, best known by the stage name Captain Beefheart, has died aged 69.

Van Vliet's death in California, from complications from multiple sclerosis, was announced by the Michael Werner Gallery in New York.

Van Vliet was "one of the most original recording artists of his time", the gallery said in a statement.

He rose to fame in the 1960s with a unique style of blues-inspired rock & roll, later devoting himself to art.

Artists like Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Franz Ferdinand, Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The White Stripes are among those who have cited him as an influence.

'Experimental rock & roll'

"Don Van Vliet was a complex and influential figure in the visual and performing arts," the gallery said in a statement.

"He is perhaps best known as the incomparable Captain Beefheart who, together with his Magic Band, rose to prominence in the 1960s with a totally unique style of blues-inspired, experimental rock & roll."

"This would ultimately secure Van Vliet's place in music history as one of the most original recording artists of his time. After two decades in the spotlight as an avant-garde composer and performer, Van Vliet retired from performing to devote himself wholeheartedly to painting and drawing."

"Like his music, Van Vliet's lush paintings are the product of a truly rare and unique vision."

Van Vliet combined peculiar tones with music that drew on blues, jazz, psychedelia and a barrage of other genres.

The musician recorded under the name of Captain Beefheart with members of the Magic Band through 1982.

Captain Beefheart's first two releases with the Magic Band received positive reviews from music connoisseurs but did not connect with the wider public.

But he soon began a close creative relationship with Frank Zappa, a former high school classmate, who helped him forge his way toward redefining popular music.

In recent years, Van Vliet devoted himself to painting and drawing.

A painting by the musician was on sale at the Michael Werner Gallery earlier this month at a price of $40,000 (£26,000).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12024652
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Don Van Vliet, aka 'Captain Beefheart', dies aged 69

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Click here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcdG_sXZjA

...then CRANK IT...for the best version of "Diddy Wah Diddy" I hope you've ever heard.

RIP, Captain.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks very much for that UNC!
For those who want more, this BBC documentary from 1997 covers it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5YE_a4 ... re=related
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:34 pm

"Diddy Wah Diddy" by Captain Beefheart from 1966 was played a lot when CKLG-FM first switched to an Underground format in early 1968. They did play other songs by him, but I can't recall which ones.

As said, a great, great version.

Postscript: The early album titles were certainly well known at the time, at least in my memory: "Trout Mask Replica" and "Lick My Decals Off, Baby".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Something about Zappa and his buddy Van Vliet, that captured je ne sais quoi, in a certain time and place.

I had the onerous duty of interviewing Mr. Zappa on TV. The saving graze was Beefheart - and I asked him to talk about how they met. It was ok after that.

While most of us jocks were getting buried in crap, we would taking our burned ears and try some of the fringe stuff - and a lot of it didn't stick - some did.

Trout Mask Replica was intimidating. Like Zappa. Like "The Legendary Sardust Cowboy" - and that weird guy that sang "Merry Go Round"....they were out there, but they had some balancing effect, on the puerile garbage that passed for 'hit music' back in the day.

For every Beatle or Stones, or Kinks gem - there was Monkees (Zappa actually tried out for the Nesmith part!) there was Zager and Evans and some Fruitgum delight.

Zappa and Van Vliet sent it all up -but with taste and verve.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to The End Of The Road