Gerry Rafferty, Singer 'Baker Street', dies 63

Obituaries for folks in the entertainment world that have come to the end of the road.

Gerry Rafferty, Singer 'Baker Street', dies 63

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:27 pm

From my friends at hollywoodmemoir.com

Gerald "Gerry" Rafferty (April 16, 1947 – January 4, 2011) was a Scottish singer and songwriter best known for his hits "Right Down the Line" and "Baker Street". He was the son of a Scottish mother and an Irish father.

http://www.hollywoodmemoir.com/gerry-rafferty-2
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Re: Gerry Rafferty, Singer 'Baker Street', dies 63

Postby Paul P » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 am

Finally someOne I've heard of!
My sincere condolences to his family.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Gerry Rafferty once described "Baker Street" as a tale about "feeling lost and alone in London,"
Rafferty said legal issues helped him write "Baker Street" as his old association with band members in Stealers Wheel was a turbulent history marked by a variety of personnel changes and legal problems.

"Everybody was suing each other, so I spent a lot of time on the overnight train from Glasgow to London for meetings with lawyers," he told the Scottish Daily Mail in 1995. "I knew a guy who lived in a little flat off Baker Street. We'd sit and chat or play guitar there through the night."
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Oh...and one more thing.
Raphael Ravenscroft, who composed and recorded the signature saxophone piece of the song was, for his efforts and skills, remitted a one-time payment in the form of a cheque for 27 pounds.
It bounced.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:Oh...and one more thing.
Raphael Ravenscroft, who composed and recorded the signature saxophone piece of the song was, for his efforts and skills, remitted a one-time payment in the form of a cheque for 27 pounds.
It bounced.

The credit on the original vinyl album needs a magnifying glass to see too.

Excellent album that got three hits.. City To City, Right Down The Line, and Baker Street.
PMC

Return to The End Of The Road