Skytrain joke.

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Dan Sys wrote:
Actually Radiofan, I put the club on the steering wheel and leave the car unlocked.

You're nothing if not crafty, Dan.

But why not just leave the keys in the ignition as well?

That way the criminals can just drive your car straight to the crackhouse.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:16 pm

raverocks wrote: For those in control of the transit system, it's a mistake to put a policy in place that basically states that only those with honour must pay.

It is really just a natural extension of the famous Peter Druker business quote: "You can't manage what you can't measure". A policy, in this case that the Skytrain has a fare, is worse than no policy at all if there is not a way to make sure it happens. Kind of like one of my other favourite expressions "an incorrect Backup is worse than no backup at all" because you rely on it.

For example, in my current workplace, if we have a major failure, "I wrote an e-mail three years ago telling people how to do this properly", is not a satisfactory explanation. Admittedly, we have a lot of Automation we can throw at computer processes to check to make sure they are running properly, and a way to tell someone when they are not. But someone has to go to the effort to put that Automation in place when they first implement the process, not after sometime terrible goes wrong.

As for the comment about today's youth, I attended a recent conference where one of the sessions was on GenY. The statement was made that GenY actually cares about "The Common Good" more than GenX, and has quite a bit in common with Baby Boomers. The problem is that GenY doesn't care about organizations per se, but the society as a whole, as well their cadre of co-workers. And their boss least of all.
jon
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Non Radio Related Topics