Edmonton's 1st 5 Guys Opens Sunday

Edmonton's 1st 5 Guys Opens Sunday

Postby jon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Although we have had a Five Guys in Edmonton suburb Sherwood Park for about a year now, the first location of "the amazing hamburger place" in the City of Edmonton opens in South Edmonton Common this Sunday. I dropped by a couple of hours ago to see how close they were to opening. And found out.

A second location will open in The Commons at Windermere, in the SW corner of Edmonton, in the not too distant future. As luck will have it, I'm moving at the beginning of June and the new location will be within walking distance.

As I said in another thread, a Staples is also opening in that same shopping area, so it is really nice to see stores open so close that I will actually use.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Edmonton's 1st 5 Guys Opens Sunday

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm looking forward to becoming a 'regular' at the Five Guys in West Kelowna later this year!
Hope it lives up to the quality of the one I've been going to with RF in Bellingham!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:15 pm

If I was in Kelowna, I'd be quite happy to have the choice of Five Guys or Carl's Jr!

Carl's has been slow making it's way up the West Coast, but one opened last in in Marysville, so Bellingham can't be too far away. Nice to see they have big plans for expansion into Canada, and the first
locations are in the Okanagan.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:25 am

Happy to hear about Carl's Jr. One of my best burger experiences was a Six Dollar Burger at a Hardee's (sister chain to Carl's Jr) in Duluth, MN.

I'm really torn about which I like better: Five Guys or Fatburger.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:41 am

drmusic wrote:I'm really torn about which I like better: Five Guys or Fatburger.

I assume you are referring to Taste.

For those of us who have never darkened the door of Fatburger, would you do a quick price comparison for us?

By the way, the new Five Guys in Edmonton that opens on Sunday is just a couple of hundred feet from what I believe is Edmonton's only Fatburger location.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:52 am

When did Grampa Simpson hijack this site? All I see are posts about franchise restaurant openings, deaths and hockey. That said, thank you all for avoiding libelous political commentary and lunatic conspiracy theories. :bow:
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:07 am

Y'mean no one posted the article detailing research that old radio types all turn into Gramp Simpson? I'll have to dig that one out.

Oh, by the way, who is this Homer Simpson guy everyone talks about?
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 am

jon wrote:
drmusic wrote:I'm really torn about which I like better: Five Guys or Fatburger.

I assume you are referring to Taste.

For those of us who have never darkened the door of Fatburger, would you do a quick price comparison for us?

By the way, the new Five Guys in Edmonton that opens on Sunday is just a couple of hundred feet from what I believe is Edmonton's only Fatburger location.

Pricewise, they're about the same. My last visit to a Five Guys (in Regina) was 14.56 for a regular (double) burger with cheese, regular fries, and regular drink. Fatburger in Edmonton was 14.47 WITHOUT a drink (I think I had cheese and bacon, which added to the total.) (Oddly enough, Saskatoon's cult favorite Fuddruckers is still quite a bit cheaper. Maybe that's why neither Five Guys nor Fatburger has entered that market yet.)

One thing about Fatburger is a larger selection -- chicken and turkey sandwiches, salads, milkshakes, etc.

Oh, and I see Fatburger now has a City Centre location and is opening another on 97th Street in the north end.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:46 am

I took Five Guys lessons from Radiofan. So, when I go with my wife and parents, I buy one regular fries for $3.69, which is more than enough for all four of us, and each of us buy a Little Hamburger each at $5.19, which is plenty big if you only want one patty as we do. That works out to $6.12 each.

Add $2.19 each for a drink. That is a Regular, since there is little point in buying a Large when you get infinite refills on both.

Other than bacon or cheese, all topping are free.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:21 am

isthisthingon wrote:When did Grampa Simpson hijack this site? All I see are posts about franchise restaurant openings, deaths and hockey. That said, thank you all for avoiding libelous political commentary and lunatic conspiracy theories. :bow:

I finally remembered who The Simpsons were. Late sixties teen music group with a TV show theme that began as Hey, Hey, we're the Simpsons and we're just a bunch of simpletons.

The burger market has certainly expanded since those days and can now be found on most menus outside of so-called fine dining places. You can get beef burgers made out of meat that would otherwise have been made into a steak. Money's makes really nice vegetarian burgers composed mainly of their mushrooms but only available commercially to restaurants. Chicken burgers have been around for a while but now there are turkey burgers with the cranberry sauce and stuffing right inside the patty. White Spot always has some kind of Pacific Salmon thing in their menu's burger section.

A German immigrant once told me that the hamburgers he had had in the old country were made with patties of uncooked pork. Odd that no one serves a pork burger here.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 am

Holy Cow (pun intended). I go away for a couple of days and RadioWest turns into the Food Network!

First of all - Slowhand - you're not funny - seriously, you're not.

Second - before making a statement like 'No one serves a pork burger here' (not knowing where 'here' is), I would suggest a quick Google of pork burgers and the name of your city.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:45 am

Paul P wrote:First of all - Slowhand - you're not funny - seriously, you're not.

Reminds me of what they used to say about ICBC in its early years: consider not being hired by them as a vote of confidence.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I'll take a burger and fries from Five Guys over Fattburger anyday. Fattburger does have great shakes though, real shakes made with milk and i9ce cream, bot the cement mix that most fast food places
serve. Fattnurger in Canada (Western Canada anyways, is franchised by Riocky's All Day Diners (usually the two are side by side). I really wish Harvey's would bring back some free standing locations
in Greater Vancouver. I really don't like to have to go to Home Depot to get a Harvey's burger and having to pay close to $20 to park at the airport to go in and grab a Harvey's burger isn't much fun
either!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:27 pm

I will admit that a trip to Home Despot is less painful because Harvey's is there.
I got hooked on their burgers (cheap and good) when I worked in Toronto during the last century.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 pm

So one of the washing machine filler hoses split yesterday so it was off to Home Despot (main Vancouver store) for a replacement this morning.
The Harvey's there is GONE!
It was still there a couple of months ago.
It was always jammed every time I went into the store.
Now, the space is being used to sell barbeques.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics