Tribute Acts Reach Saturation Point

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:49 am

I'll Be Your Mirror: The Alarming Proliferation of Tribute Acts in Our Land

By Pluto

I'm tired of tribute acts.

I guess the genre first came to prominence back in the late seventies when Elvis impersonators -- or, as they are sometimes collectively known -- the Elvii, began popping up after the King's death in 1977.

These days however, it's not necessary for the artist to be dead before launching a tribute.

"Screw you Jimmy Buffett - if you're not even going to have the courtesy to die young, we're certainly not going to wait you out," said The Landsharks Band, who will be happy to step in when the margarita-swilling Buffett can't or won't play your backwater town.

Can you think of any band or artist from the 60s, 70s or 80s who hasn't been tributized?

Okay, I mean with the possible exception of Andy Kim?

For me, the tipping point was a radio advertisement for an upcoming appearance by a combo calling itself Think Floyd U.S.A., a --what else? -- tribute to Pink Floyd.

I find the U.S.A. part of their name troubling.

Does this mean that there's a Think Floyd Canada and a Think Floyd Japan? My God, now they're franchising!

It used to be that in the early days of this lamentable phenomenon, the tribute band would be obligated to count amongst its numbers at least one musician who was an original member of the group being immortalized.

Think Doors of the 21st Century, which includes Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger, the Doors original keyboard player and guitarist respectively. Or Creedence Clearwater Revisited, which features CCR's rhythm section, Stu Cook and Doug 'Cosmo' Clifford.

But even that tenuous lifeline to some semblance of reality seems to have been severed, albeit with a very dull knife.

How else to explain the continuing thriving careers of Highway Star (Deep Purple,) Revolver (The Beatles,) or Canada's own Sticky Fingers (The Rolling Stones)?

At one point a few years ago, there were at least six different touring versions of the Beach Boys travelling the free world. Among them was Al's Surfin' Beach Boys which bills itself as The UK's No.1 Beach Boys Touring Band. Sadly, the Al referred to in the group's moniker isn't Al Jardine -- one of the original Beach Boys' founding members (who, not coincidentally has his own tribute band: Al Jardine's Endless Summer Band) -- but just another imposter in a business where faking it is not only encouraged, it's mandatory. "5...6...even 7 part harmonies! (How do smaller BB tribute bands manage)?" reads a blurb from its website.

I suppose that all of these tribute acts serve some sort of purpose, but there is something just a little bit sad about audiences laying out cold, hard cash to watch Bjorn Again (Abba) cranking out note-for-note perfect renditions of Waterloo and Dancing Queen.

Or Nearly Neil warbling his way through Cracklin' Rosie.

In fact, this sadsack bastard child of the entertainment industry has expanded so rapidly I'm surprised that it doesn't have its own self-congratulatory network awards show (The Copies?) where its most popular acts are recognized by its peers and given an award; perhaps a statuette of a weeping Elvis.

Maligned though they may be by some, the fact remains that tribute acts are popular attractions and continue to draw crowds wherever they appear.

It's a growth industry, and the vast pool of half-forgotten bands and performers from the past four decades is ripe for exploitation.

But being able to reproduce the songs and visual appearance of the artists you are aping is only half the battle. The other half is coming up with a clever name for your tribute act, preferably one that ties in with the artist you are paying tribute to.

For example, if you're calling yourselves the Liverpool Legends -- a look-alike Beatles tribute band managed by Louise Harrison, sister of former Beatle George Harrison -- you don't want your act to be performing impeccable cover versions of songs made famous by the Ramones.

It just won't work.

Perhaps you've been considering a career as a tribute act but haven't yet decided which band or artist you want to pay tribute to or what to call yourself.

Here are a few names that, as far as I know, are still up for grabs:

Bruce Frankensteen & The Fee Street Band ... The Rolling Clones ... Auxiliary Police ... Bob Fill-In ... Elton Con ... The George Faker Selection ...Used Cars ... Recycled Tin Machine ...The Faux Tops ... Copycat Stevens ... The Newbie Brothers ... Scam & Dave ... Fraud Stewart ... Grateful Dead Reanimated ... The Mock Turtles ...Johnny Cashgrab ... Ike & Tina Returner ... ComeBackstreet Boys.

Or perhaps you have a classical bent. I believe Rachmaniknock-off is still available.

At the moment there are only two bands that I'd consider to be immune from the prospect of being tributized: The Replacements and The Pretenders.

The reason being - what the hell would their perspective tribute acts call themselves?

Naw, they're bulletproof. For everyone else it's open season.

Say, here's a scary thought.

Is it possible that some of these tribute acts could become so popular that they themselves spawn tributes?

In a few years time could our children be taking their kids to concerts by Creedence Clearwater Revival Again, or The Doors of The 22nd Century?

Don't ask me, I'm too busy working up my own tribute act.

I may not be famous now but one day in the not-too-distant future you'll be forking over $74.95 plus service charges to enjoy the musical stylings of Dwight Hokum.

Wait'll you hear me do Suspicious Minds.

Sounds just like the original. Maybe better.

? 2007 RadioWest.ca. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced without permission.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:21 am

It's pervasive, even here.

Haven't you noticed how Top Dog and Radio Man are starting to sound like BCK?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Will somebody PLEASE burn this pagan witch!
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:48 am

Good things get copied because someone believes there is money to be made, or necessary if non profit.

The imitator entertainment copy can sell more cd's for Jimmy Buffet, or Pink Floyd. It keeps the music flowing.

I personally would not go to see an imitator when the real thing comes in video from the net or a television show, however some people will, since the industry survives.. although hip hop will be something to see in the clone market.
PMC

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:14 pm

I caught a show by a Beatles tribute group called Rain at the Orpheum last year. (What can I say - it was a free ticket.) The four wannabe mopheads did a good job - at least they were musicians and not doing a Milli Vanilli on stage.

The freaks were all in the audience. The place was packed to the rafters with folks who seemed to think Rain was the Beatles. They were screaming their heads off! Creeped me right out - even though I enjoyed the old tunes. I don't get why people think they have to relive the past. Especially when they're not old enough to have seen the Beatles back in the day.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Stn Brk wrote: I caught a show by a Beatles tribute group called Rain at the Orpheum last year. (What can I say - it was a free ticket.) The four wannabe mopheads did a good job - at least they were musicians and not doing a Milli Vanilli on stage.

Did they tell Red to get lost, or words to that effect?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:32 pm

cart_machine wrote:
Stn Brk wrote: I caught a show by a Beatles tribute group called Rain at the Orpheum last year.  (What can I say - it was a free ticket.)  The four wannabe mopheads did a good job - at least they were musicians and not doing a Milli Vanilli on stage.

Did they tell Red to get lost, or words to that effect?

cArtie.

cArtie -

Red was too tired to drive downtown the night that Rain performed, so the character that plays the part of John Lennon called him on his cell phone and told him to f**k off.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics