What is the Agridome?

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:29 am

The Province rag has a frontpage story today about naming rights for local venues being put up for sale.

Among them was some place called the Agridome.

Anyone ever heard of it?

I've heard of the Agrodome, located on the PNE grounds, but the Agridome?

I don't think so.

Remember the good old days when newspapers used to have editors, and names for local parks and venues weren't whored out to the highest bidder?

But, what the hell, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

How about the Agro-Home Depot?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:29 am

Both Toronto and Regina have an agr I dome - why not Vancouver?

it is the effort of Canwest Global to unify this country under one roof - one dome
- one name - one thought

why in hell's name do you think Vancouver should be different?

conform Pluto - you silly old pooch.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:21 pm

See, I would have thought the Cannadome or the Hashdome would be more apropos.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:56 pm

The point is, there is no one who checks copy before it goes to air or to print or on the net these days, despite the plethora of web-based dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopaedia etc. that point the way to proper spelling, grammar and fact-checking.
In the old days, at least a second set of eyes saw everything before it went to the end-user.
That's why you see and hear BN copy riddled with errors, not necessarily in fact but collective nouns with plural verbs, dangling participles, "impact" being used as a verb and all the other errors for which your sixth grade teacher would have rapped your knuckles if you were brought up in the '50's and 60's.
These errors are spread by people who read the copy on-air until it becomes common usage.
Even English teachers these days don't teach English any more.
You should see some of the material, supposedly written by professionals, that crosses my screen every day.
I spend more time correcting mistakes in copy than actually recording the stuff.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:19 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote: The point is, there is no one who checks copy before it goes to air or to print or on the net these days, despite the plethora of web-based dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopaedia etc. that point the way to proper spelling, grammar and fact-checking.
In the old days, at least a second set of eyes saw everything before it went to the end-user.
That's why you see and hear BN copy riddled with errors, not necessarily in fact but collective nouns with plural verbs, dangling participles, "impact" being used as a verb and all the other errors for which your sixth grade teacher would have rapped your knuckles if you were brought up in the '50's and 60's.
These errors are spread by people who read the copy on-air until it becomes common usage.
Even English teachers these days don't teach English any more.
You should see some of the material, supposedly written by professionals, that crosses my screen every day.
I spend more time correcting mistakes in copy than actually recording the stuff.

Does anyone even read or use the BN and/or CP Style Books. With all the news about the Canadian Forces it is quite amazing how many errors are made in terminology.

The HMCS Whatever --- is saying The Her Majesty's Canadian Ship.

It's not an honour guard .... It is a guard of honour (to honour someone)

It's not half staff -- Flags are flown at half-mast

Sailors are aboard ship, not soldiers unless they are part of the support trades like cooks, and logistics. Yes there are aircrew aboard ship as all large Canadian ships carry aircraft (helicopters)

A ship is not a boat. A ship can carry a boat unless the boat is a submarine

At Remembrance ceremonies Last Post and Rouse are played not Taps or Reveille.

Unless a regimental or royal colour is on parade the group is called a "flag party" a Colour Party is reserved for consecrated "colours".

The PPCLI is Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry or the Patricias not the Pats.

There endeth today's lesson
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote: The point is, there is no one who checks copy before it goes to air or to print or on the net these days, despite the plethora of web-based dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopaedia etc. that point the way to proper spelling, grammar and fact-checking.

I just get tired of seeing these kind of errors on a daily basis.

The problem is rampant, and it's not getting any better.

It is the job of these so-called editors to fact-check this material before it goes to print.

As Mike said, with all of the resources available online, there's no excuse not to.

When I see mistakes like this in a story I usually stop reading.

Even if the story has merit, I just can't take it seriously.

If the writer doesn't care enough to do proper research and an editor is too lazy or too stupid to bother correcting it, then why should waste my time on it?

Just as an aside, I rarely see mistakes like this occurring with any regularity in The Georgia Straight.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:18 pm

GWP - Speaking of doing things right, I am sorry for the delay in congratulating you on a great bit of news coverage on CTV-9 in the past couple of weeks. Your report on the plane crash north of Campbell River was superb. You obviously knew what you were talking about and you had immediate answers for any question the reporter might have thrown your way.

The Chopper 9 reporter could learn a lot from someone like you. I sometimes feel embarassed for the poor guy with all his ummms and ahhhhs while he's trying to ad lib a story.

Glad there are still a few pros like GWP and Mike Cleaver left in this world.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue May 01, 2007 12:19 pm

When I saw the name of this thread I thought we were playing Jeopardy. ;)
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 01, 2007 12:28 pm

glaherty wrote:
When I saw the name of this thread I thought we were playing Jeopardy. ;)

Oops, no I'm sorry glaherty, that's gonna cost you.

How much did you wager?

Everything.

Pluto is now back in the lead.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Tue May 01, 2007 2:52 pm

Alex .. Could I have famous Canadian domes for $300 please?
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Tue May 01, 2007 5:37 pm

Peter Mansbridge's is a pretty famous Canadian dome. Or, Mark Messier.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics