Global's Reg Hampton Calgary bound

Postby Heard It On The X » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:08 pm

During the goodbyes on tonight's 6 o'clock newscast, Tony Parsons mentioned Reg Hampton (reporter/anchor/assignment desk relief) is leaving Global BC for a post at Global Calgary.

Reg Hampton bio
(from Vancouver Broadcasters dot com)

Graduate Broadcast Journalism B.C. Institute of Technology 1988; network news anchor CKNW New Westminster 1988-98; weekend news producer/anchor BCTV Vancouver 1998-current; award winner Radio and Television News Directors' Association and B.C. Association of Broadcasters 2002
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:56 pm

thanks X - great stuff and you broke it here

Reg was born in the tiny Saskatchewan village of Spalding in December of 1964, and his family moved between various prairie towns before settling in the beautiful Northwestern B.C. community of Smithers in the mid 70's. Reg believes his up bringing steered him towards a career in journalism.

"My sister Debbie and I grew up in a home where information was everything," he says. "Newspapers were read cover to cover, and TV newscasts and newsmagazine shows won out over entertainment. And when that wasn't enough, my Mom bought my Dad a police scanner!"

Reg studied at the University of Victoria from 1983 to 1985, and later attended the B.C. Institute of Technology, where he graduated with an honours diploma in Broadcast Journalism in 1988.

While still a student at BCIT, Reg began working at the number one Radio station in Western Canada: CKNW 98. He read province- wide newscasts on the Western Information Network (later the WIC Radio Network) and reported from Burnaby City Council meetings. It developed into a full-time anchoring and reporting position, and Reg put in 10 full years at CKNW before being hired away by Global BC.

Reg's interests outside of work have included golf, camping, computers, travel, and sports fishing, but lately he and his wife Patrizia has been very busy raising their two young sons Julian and Anthony, and daughter Madeline.

Reg anchors and produces the weekend nightly newscast. He also takes the anchor chair when others are away, and reports for all news programs.

In 2002 Reg won awards for his coverage of the Softwood Lumber crisis from the Radio and Television News Directors' Association and the B.C. Association of Broadcasters. He was also named as a finalist for a Webster Award.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics