Man Bites Dog dept: Dog Shoots Master

Man Bites Dog dept: Dog Shoots Master

Postby slowhand » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:01 pm

In case you missed it, this definitely fits in the Man Bites Dog category of strange and unusual News stories. I thought hunting rifles had Safety Latches on them to prevent this kind of thing.

Dog shoots man after being told to move from front seat to back seat
By Associated Press
December 19, 2014

SHERIDAN, Wyo. — Police in northern Wyoming say a rifle discharged after a dog apparently stepped on it, injuring a 46-year-old man.

Johnson County Sheriff Steve Kozisek says the bullet struck Richard L. Fipps, of Sheridan, in the arm on Monday.

The injury is not life-threatening but Fipps is being treated in a hospital in Billings, Montana.

Kozisek told The Sheridan Press that Fipps and two others were in a remote area trying to move a vehicle that had become stuck. Fipps was standing beside his truck when he told his dog to move from the front seat to the back seat.

The sheriff says a rifle was on the back seat and it discharged toward Fipps.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Re: Man Bites Dog dept: Dog Shoots Master

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Weirdly, this is not the first time this has happened; this story from February 2010 in California:

A hunter is recovering from non-life threatening injuries after being shot by his dog on Saturday.
The Merced County Sheriff's Department said the 53-year-old man was hunting with a partner off Highway 152 near Los Banos when he set down his shotgun to retrieve his decoy ducks.
The shotgun was loaded but the safety was on, according to authorities.
The victim was about 15 yards away, retrieving his decoys, when his female black Labrador retriever stepped on the gun.
Authorities said the dog disengaged the safety and hit the trigger at the same time, firing a shell with #2 shot. The man was struck in on the left side of his upper back.

..and not too many years ago, near where I live in Bremerton, WA, a local man shot himself when he attempted to use the stock end of his (loaded) shotgun to hammer loose a stubborn lug nut while changing a tire.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 pm

After even further research, I discovered this type of incident happens a LOT. There have been at least four more cases of a dog discharging a firearm and shooting the dog owner; one in Utah, one in France and two in Florida in 2011 alone.
To put it in perspective, more people in the United States have been "dog-shot" than have contracted ebola.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:47 pm

slowhand wrote:In case you missed it, this definitely fits in the Man Bites Dog category of strange and unusual News stories. I thought hunting rifles had Safety Latches on them to prevent this kind of thing.

I think it's adorable that you think every hunter leaves the safety on until it is time to pull the trigger. :carrot:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Just goes to show ... some animals are smarter than their owners!
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics