Any Importing Tips to Share?

Any Importing Tips to Share?

Postby jon » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:52 pm

A friend is considering buying out of the U.S., and asked for any tips I might have on importing. Here is what I told him.

I'd certainly appreciate anything you'd care to share on the subject of cross-border shopping when you live too far from the border to drive across.

FedEx:

- you can sign a form with them to authorize them to broker anything from them that you get FOR FREE; I haven't checked if that applies to FedEx Ground, which is a relatively new service from the U.S.
- safe to use to a company or home address

UPS:

- they offer a special service from the U.S. to Canada that includes brokerage; that is how JR.com ships, but it cost $75 to go that way, but 18 months ago, I still saved $100 off the price of Polk speakers, from the best price I could find locally
- you face a serious risk of paying an extra $35 (you get a surprise invoice several months later, directly from UPS) for any shipment coming to you from the U.S. shipped UPS (other than the $75 special rate) for UPS for Brokerage Fees at the border; it seems to be much more likely if you ship to a business address, but I'm sure I've heard of people getting charged at home, too; my memory is fuzzy now, but I really don't trust them, nor do any of my friends

Post Office:

- I don't deal with a U.S. company shipping to Canada unless they guarantee that they will ship using the Post Office; I give up quickly, if they don't seem to "get it", as it tells me that they are inexperienced and might mess up and ship it UPS no matter what they say
- as mentioned above, FedEx could be an alternative, but I haven't checked on their FedEx Ground rules yet; I just know that Air is no problem once you've signed that paperwork (FedEx is good, but the worst case scenario without the paperwork is that they accidentally send it to a commercial border broker without your permission, and you pay big time)
- worst case with Post Office is a $5 Admin fee plus GST; there are probably exceptions, but I've never heard of anyone paying Duty now that Free Trade is in place; the complication would be if it is manufactured in some odd place where Canada's duty is higher than the U.S.'s
- these days, you run about a 10% chance of being charged for small stuff; I suspect odds are much higher (25-50%) on more expensive items
- be sure the sender is insuring your package -- I'm not sure that insurance is automatic with the US Post Office, like it is with Canada Post on parcels

DHL:

- don't know how they operate, so I would have to phone them, but they were the original International courier before FedEx and UPS moved beyond the U.S. and Canada

Canadian dealers:

- there are low priced dealers in Canada, mostly in Quebec. For example, an item I was looking for was available from udisco.com, someplace in Quebec. Price was close to best U.S. source and shipping was a lot cheaper ($10).
- don't forget local sources -- a local shop is where I went yesterday and they have lowered a lot of their prices (they import almost everything from the U.S.) because of the Canadian dollar doing so well

U.S. sources:

- many have outrageous shipping rates to Canada, as they handle all "International Orders" the same way
- don't forget eBay Stores. They often have reasonable shipping rates to Canada, and deal better with single orders of small items.

Google:

- "Google is your friend" as a favourite instructor always says
- that is the way I've found all these great dealers in the U.S. and Canada
- eBay Stores can also lead you to a Web site where a dealer sells more, or has better deals, esp. on shipping, than on eBay.
- amazon.com (not .ca) can also give you some ideas of prices to expect, but I've seen MUCH LOWER ones by Googling
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:01 pm

In my experience, always use USPS for shipments from the States.
All of the courier companies, Universal Parcel Smashers and FedHex will try and ding you for extra fees.
Chances are, if it comes through the US Mail to Canada, there'll be no extra charges.
Same with stuff from China.
Have them send it through the national postal service there if they give you that option.
Much cheaper and it's delivered by Canada Post, if you still have the luxury of that service.
Otherwise, you pick it up at your local postal outlet.
The net is your friend.
You can always find a better price, whether it's local or international, if you do your homework.
Most also have toll free numbers if you don't see exactly what you want and you can often negotiate an even better deal.
It may take some time.
As written earlier, watch out for outrageous shipping and handling fees.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics