Web sites

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:56 am

One of our regulars here has asked me about my website so I thought it might be
opportune to let others know as well.

First I must say I learned at lot from radiofan and jonedmonton about early page set up. I also learn some from Gord Lansdell and Brian Walks. All of these people run sites.

All my data is loaded on a simple word page and stored in my computer but uploaded to the telus servor. Others have different servors which offer web page space.

I have a domain - www.bcradiohistory.com where a "skin" or matte is loaded. All the other telus pages fit within and are linked. But that is going to far in the beginning.

Most web sites are made up of pages that are linked by buttons or hyperlinks.

To do this you don't need knowlege of html code even tho the basics are important...like how to change the code of a picture or the name of a page. (In the beginning all my pages were John Ashbridge and pretty soon everything on google
was coming up as more info on Ashbridge and Prince Andrew and not the true subject of the page.

Each of my pages start as the same one and I change some basic info on the source code and then publish to the servor.

So for the person who asked - design a simple page and get it loaded to your servor.

Then modify it with links and you have learned the basics of a web page. I now have so many pages - I have lost track.

Once you have one page loaded we can go to a second lesson and others like
Jon and TW may want to give simple instructions as well.

I will publish here the first page when I got started - pretty amateurish.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:09 am

amateurish to begin with

but you can see its a simple word page - using a coloured background

Big letters for the title

and hyper links to take you to another page

I was using the question marks to space things and then re colouring them same colour
as background

In the beginning you have to experiment.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics