Quebec Has It's Tits In A Knot, Again

Quebec Has It's Tits In A Knot, Again

Postby flyonthewall » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Is anyone surprised?

I heard mention of this on the radio earlier today and had to track it down and share it.

(from Canadian Press) MONTREAL - Celebration in Quebec over Alexandre Bilodeau's Olympic freestyle skiing victory is being tempered by anger at a perceived lack of French at the Vancouver Games.
Media outlets are pointing out the irony that while a French-speaking athlete gave Canada its first gold medal, his language was being treated like an afterthought at the Games.

There's a two-page spread in today's La Presse newspaper with headlines like: French as Rare as Snow in Vancouver; and Only 15 Per Cent of 25,000 Volunteers Speak French; and there was one mocking column in the paper partly written in English, titled Proud to be 'Canadian' _ with the word Canadian written in English.
Federal Heritage Minister James Moore and Quebec Premier Jean Charest have both noted their frustration over the lack of French spoken at the opening ceremonies.

On Quebec's TV talk show, questions are being raised about whether official bilingualism in Canada is actually a facade.

Denis Coderre, the federal Liberal critic for official languages, said he was miffed at being treated like a second-class citizen.
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Quebec Has It's Tits In A Knot, Again

Postby slowhand » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm

flyonthewall wrote:Celebration in Quebec over Alexandre Bilodeau's Olympic freestyle skiing victory is being tempered by anger at a perceived lack of French at the Vancouver Games.

That is just too funny! Yesterday afternoon, my German mother-in-law was bitterly complaining that the Olympics made their announcements in French first, before English, even though it comes from Vancouver, where almost no one speaks French.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:05 pm

slowhand wrote:
flyonthewall wrote:Celebration in Quebec over Alexandre Bilodeau's Olympic freestyle skiing victory is being tempered by anger at a perceived lack of French at the Vancouver Games.

That is just too funny! Yesterday afternoon, my German mother-in-law was bitterly complaining that the Olympics made their announcements in French first, before English, even though it comes from Vancouver, where almost no one speaks French.

You look awfully young to have a mother-in-law.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:You look awfully young to have a mother-in-law.

Good line!

For the sake of the casual observer: I came clean elsewhere on the board and admitted that the pic is my cousin's youngest son. Taken at Christmas time 2009 in Australia where most of that side of the family lives.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Can we vote Quebec out of Canada after the Olympics?
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 pm

They have a point. Considering how much time and energy was spent on the First Nations I don't blame the province that one third of Canadians call home for being ticked off. I know French bashing is a popular past time in BC but the Feds ponied up 25 million taxpayer dollars for the "show" and rightly expected more content in Canada's other official language. One of the reasons there wasn't more francophone content was likely due to the arrogance of Vanoc. Celine Dion was asked and turned them down as did three other well known entertainers from Quebec. "Scheduling conflicts" were cited as the reason...yeah right. I think Vanoc's bad attitude also explains the dearth of musical talent during the Opening Ceremonies. Michael Buble got out of bed at 3am to do the "Today" show but wasn't part of the OC's?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:15 am

Is there anyone still out there who knows how to use an apostrophe properly?

Just wondering... :wink:
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

As a 75% Scandanavian/25% British "Canadian" born citizen of this great land, I am apalled at the poor ENGLISH representation at the Opening Ceremonies. Incorporating in the fur-traders would have made for a natural tie-in with HBC, the official clothing supplier to the games. And where was the token VIKING??? After all they discovered Canada first? Or was that a Viking sawing the fiddle in the canoe!

VANOC should hang their heads in shame for not incorporating these two pillars of Canadiana into the Opening Ceremonies. :P It's enough to make me wanna call up Premier Charest and set him straight.

One other thought....if Quebec City gets the 2022 games, can we have a re-enactment of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham??? :lol:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm

crs wrote:.......
One other thought....if Quebec City gets the 2022 games, can we have a re-enactment of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham??? :lol:

Using real bullets??
:shock:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Boy, they sure don't like it when another part of the country gets all the attention for a change. Its nice to see them complaining about us, than the other way around, which is the norm. :lol: 8-) :P
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:34 pm

sandclan wrote:
crs wrote:.......

Using real bullets??
:shock:

It would certainly bring a whole new meaning to "wow" factor!
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 pm

this post brought the LOLZ something fierce.

1) Title. tits in a knot? love it.

2) One of the biggest complaints from the peanut gallery... TOO MUCH FRENCH.

Personally French doesn't bother me, in fact... I like it. AND without Quebec you could halve or even third our medal count :P
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Those must be very long tits, or a very tight knot!
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Anotherwpgguy wrote:Those must be very long tits, or a very tight knot!

Depends how cold it is!!
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 am

hey how come those figure skaters don't get dizzy and fall down with all the spinning stuff they do :?:
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics